Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

$smarty->compile_dir is not created, if it does not exist

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c960657
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: $smarty->compile_dir is not created, if it does not exist Reply with quote

Currently, if $smarty->compile_dir does not exist when $smarty->display() is called, it will not be created.

We have a webserver farm that hosts a lot of sites using Smarty. Each site has its own compile dir in /tmp/smarty/sitename. When we put a new site online, we sometimes forget to create the compile_dir. I know that we could check for this in our own code and create the dir. However, it would be convenient if Smarty could do this automatically.

This behaviour can be supported, if Smarty::_get_auto_filename() is changed so that it returns an absolute path in the case the compile_dir does not exists and the compiled file does not exist in the include path either (currently it returns a relative path).

Code:

@@ -1728,14 +1728,14 @@
     {
         $_compile_dir_sep =  $this->use_sub_dirs ? DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR : '^';

-        if(@is_dir($auto_base)) {
-            $_return = $auto_base . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR;
-        } else {
+        $_return = $auto_base . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR;
+        if(!@is_dir($auto_base)) {
             // auto_base not found, try include_path
             $_params = array('file_path' => $auto_base);
             require_once(SMARTY_DIR . 'core' . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR . 'core.get_include_path.php');
-            smarty_core_get_include_path($_params, $this);
-            $_return = isset($_params['new_file_path']) ? $_params['new_file_path'] . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR : null;
+            if (smarty_core_get_include_path($_params, $this)) {
+                $_return = $_params['new_file_path'] . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR;
+            }
         }

Also the if(!@is_writable($smarty->compile_dir)) { block should be removed from smarty_core_write_compiled_resource.

The same might be relevant for cache_dir.[/code]
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not Smarty's responsibility to create the top-level directories. Ideally, Smarty would not have permission to create them anyways. It is up to you to create directories that are safe for Smarty to work within.
c960657
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ok.

The fix for Smarty::_get_auto_filename() might still be worth applying, though. Not that it seems terribly important, but I think the semantics after the fix makes more sence, i.e. if a non-existing path is returned, it is always a path in the compile dir.

Currently, if you for some weird reason set $compile_dir to a file instead of a directory, and this file is writable by the webserver, then new compiled templates are written to subdirs of the document root, if this is writable, instead of to subdirs of compile_dir. This will be fixed by the change to _get_auto_filename(), so that smarty_core_create_dir_structure() triggers an error when trying to create a subdir of the file.

This is probably not a very common error, but maybe other less obscure errors exist due to the current behaviour of _get_auto_filename().
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its better to do this from your custom Smarty class. I have a function that not only checks/creates the temp directories but also keeps track of the running Smarty version compared to the version used in the compiled/cached dirs and automatically clears them out when it detects an upgrade.
c960657
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrelated to the original issue raised in this bug, I spent some more time looking at Smarty::_get_auto_filename(), and I am confused.

I don't understand why it uses the include path. The function is used to "get a concrete filename for automagically created content", i.e. compiled templates and cache files. Why would these files be present in the include path?

The behaviour was added in CVS version 1.285 of Smarty.class.php when the method _get_include_path() was introduced. With this new method, Smarty would look for config files, files included with {include_php} etc. in the include path, and that seems reasonable.

However, a call to the method was also added to _get_auto_filename() - but I think that was a mistake. At least I don't see why it makes sense to look for automatically created files in the include path.

Have I missed something?

http://cvs.php.net/co.php/smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php?r=1.285
http://cvs.php.net/diff.php/smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php?r1=1.284&r2=1.285&ty=h
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_get_include_path() is not really used to get automatic filenames, but to get the auto_base if it wasn't supplied as absolute path.

like $smarty->compile_dir = 'templates_c'
if _get_auto_filename() cannot find 'templates_c' in the cwd it searches php's include_path for it.
c960657
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

messju wrote:
if _get_auto_filename() cannot find 'templates_c' in the cwd it searches php's include_path for it.

That's an undocumented feature, right? And is this really a sensible thing to do? The include path usually contains stuff like the PEAR libraries and probably other code shared by multiple sites. It doesn't seem right to me to look for compiled templates there.

If believe Smarty only writes compiled templates to either a directory specified by an absolute path or to a directory specified relative to the directory containing the current PHP script. So why look for compiled templates outside these two places?
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c960657 wrote:
messju wrote:

That's an undocumented feature, right?

which doesn't mean not used. we are likely to break many people's setups if we just rip it off after more than 2 years working good for everyone except for you.

Quote:
And is this really a sensible thing to do? The include path usually contains stuff like the PEAR libraries and probably other code shared by multiple sites. It doesn't seem right to me to look for compiled templates there.

not everybody uses smarty the way you do. having control over template_dir and compile_dir via include_path and without the need to touch php-code can be a useful thing.

Quote:
If believe Smarty only writes compiled templates to either a directory specified by an absolute path or to a directory specified relative to the directory containing the current PHP script.

it does in the first place, but if it can't it takes further measures to get it's job done.
c960657
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

messju wrote:
c960657 wrote:
If believe Smarty only writes compiled templates to either a directory specified by an absolute path or to a directory specified relative to the directory containing the current PHP script.

it does in the first place, but if it can't it takes further measures to get it's job done.

I am not sure I understand you correctly, but are you saying that Smarty will try to write to other directories that the two, I mentioned above? I don't see how this can happen. In smarty_core_write_compiled_resource() and smarty_core_write_cache_file() the write is aborted, if $smarty->compile_dir/cache_dir (specified by either an absolute path or a path relative to the directory of the current script, but not relative to the include path) is not writable.

So if I am right about that, templates will never be written outside the specified compile_dir, and that's why I am wondering why it makes sense to looks for them outside the compile_dir?

messju wrote:

Quote:
That's an undocumented feature, right?

which doesn't mean not used. we are likely to break many people's setups if we just rip it off after more than 2 years working good for everyone except for you.

I am aware of the problems with respect to backwards compatibility. Currently, I am not suggesting any change to Smarty. I am just trying to understand the code. It is my impression that there is a bug (or at least a very subtle, undocumented feature), but I am not sure I fully understand the code, so bear with me Smile
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c960657 wrote:
I am not sure I understand you correctly, but are you saying that Smarty will try to write to other directories that the two, I mentioned above? I don't see how this can happen. In smarty_core_write_compiled_resource() and smarty_core_write_cache_file() the write is aborted, if $smarty->compile_dir/cache_dir (specified by either an absolute path or a path relative to the directory of the current script, but not relative to the include path) is not writable.

ah, you are correct, i missed these.
i think the _get_include_path() call inside _get_auto_filename() is useless legacy then. call it a bug if you want to be that harsh.
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally convinced i committed a fix to this.
thanks for catching this one, c960657!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: