Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

What vars are referenced in templates

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamgold
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: What vars are referenced in templates Reply with quote

Hi

I am "relatively" new to smarty, but have worked with PHP for quite some time.

My question is simple: is there a way to find out which variables are referenced in templates?

My situation is this: I have nested templates (include) with arbitrary variables in it. The backend needs to find out what variables are needed in the templates to retrieve the proper values.

Is there a way to register some filter or function that is called when variables are accessed in a template?

thanks

Jan
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a good way outside of scraping your templates for variables mentioned then assigning those. There are a few alternate ways to accomplish this though.

You could use an assigned object in your template to fetch the variables on-demand.

So instead of:

{$foobar}

You would use:

{$obj->var('foobar')}

You could also use a (less flexible) custom template function:

{getvar name="foobar"}

Or use a custom modifier on a dummy var:

{$dummy|getvar:"foobar"}

All of these options make the template vars a bit longer, but cut out the need to pre-assign them. I like the object, you can use it much like any assigned template var, and you can easily tweak the methods to do whatever you want.
jamgold
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:

You could use an assigned object in your template to fetch the variables on-demand.

So instead of:

{$foobar}

You would use:

{$obj->var('foobar')}

Thats actually what I came up with, so I am happy not to be too dumb after all. I just wondered if there was a "better" way, like some sort of filter, or sub-classing the Smarty.compiler.class.

It turns out that my biggest problem with what I am trying to accomplish is the way PHP4 handles references. I develop on PHP5 and then copy to the production server, which has PHP4 on it. Why make it easy on myself.

Thanks for your reply

Jan
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to use $smarty->assign_by_ref() for the object assignments. It should work fine under PHP5 too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: