Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Smarty Overlays?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonlustig
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Smarty Overlays? Reply with quote

Is there any work being done to allow smarty to allow "overlays" or having a file that will tell smarty to insert code at a certain point in other templates? I am thinking along the lines of Mozilla XUL overlays or HTML overlays as detailed at http://disruptive-innovations.com/zoo/20040830/HTMLoverlays.html

Jason
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, using Smarty is irrelevant. Put your overlay tags in the templates just like you would a static HTML file. The overlay logic happens in the javascript/css after the browser gets the HTML, whether that is from Smarty or not.
jasonlustig
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to do it specifically like that, I mean that say I have a template that does this:

{foreach from=$var item=hello}
The item is: {$hello}
{/foreach}

And I have an outside template wants to change it to "The item is supposed to be", like this:

{foreach from=$var item=hello}
The item is supposed to be: {$hello}
{/foreach}

Then I could have an "overlay" template file that I could load into smarty that could change the "main" template and add/remove things to it.

Jason
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if he means if Smarty will incorporate the concept of overlays. It seems to me that Smarty is (currently) a replacement system without concept of document structure. Implementing tree-merging functionality seems outside of its (current) scope.

On the other-hand, it is an interesting idea; in my recent play time with Smarty I have been experimenting with ways of creating named sections within templates which could be targeted directly. Essentially I am looking at ways that a designer can annotate blocks within a template creating a modular design that would allow the compiler to break the template into distinct pieces which could be referenced (and loaded/processed/cached) separately. (eg: {include file="foo.tpl#bar_block}) Alas, I can't say more at this point.
jasonlustig
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I'm looking for this functionality is that I am designing a software system and am trying to add functionality for "extensions" or mods. I have the whole system figured out, except that I need to give the extension developers the ability to change the frontend - i.e. the html that is produced by my smarty templates. The problem seems to me to be the fact that I can't just tell smarty to run code at the end of the template, I need to tell it to insert a template somewhere...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: