Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Debug mode doesn't work when security is enabled

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
appel
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Debug mode doesn't work when security is enabled Reply with quote

$smarty->debugging = true;
$smarty->security = true;

produces this warning:

Warning: Smarty error: (secure mode) accessing "file:/usr/local/share/smarty/debug.tpl" is not allowed in /usr/local/share/smarty/Smarty.class.php on line 999
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to assign $smarty->debug_tpl to a template that is in a directory in the list of your secure-dirs ($smarty->secure_dir), or you have to append "/usr/local/share/smarty" to your list of secure dirs.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bug, the debug.tpl file should work by default. This has been fixed in CVS.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the debug template should be accessible from security mode since debug information can potentially provide insecure details.
sweatje
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boots wrote:
I don't think the debug template should be accessible from security mode since debug information can potentially provide insecure details.

Interesting notion...is there anything in the debugging template itself that would not be allowed by safe mode? If so, what is to prevent the user from just placing a copy of the debug template in their working directory?

I don't use safe mode personally, so it is more just curiosity Smile
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever file is given as the $debug_tpl is assumed to be safe in secure mode. This way you don't get errors when it doesn't reside in your template_dir, which is typically the case.

Monte
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my point is that if the debug template isn't already reachable, then it shouldn't be automagically included. When using secure mode there are two avenues to do this: add the debug template to the template directory or add a reference to the debug template directory to your secure dirs. Failing to do that suggests either that you don't want debug functionality or that you don't need security.

In my mind the security context should be explicit so that people who are fanatical about security can be assured that only exactly what they specify makes it through.

Quote:
If so, what is to prevent the user from just placing a copy of the debug template in their working directory?

I didn't mean that you wouldn't allow some form of a debug template to run, but it would have to be specific to that security setting and live in a secure directory.

hope that makes sense Smile
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose there are many ways to analyze how it should work Smile But historically the $debug_tpl is always secure regarless of its location (BTW, you can give specific files in $secure_dir, not just directories so this doesn't open up your entire SMARTY_DIR if that's what you're thinking.) It was broken somewhere along the way, and now its fixed.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: