Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

include_php & multiple includes -> undefined var

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevenv
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: include_php & multiple includes -> undefined var Reply with quote

Sorry, for the mostly meaningless subject, but I can't explain the problem in so little space. In fact, I can hardly explain it at all, so lets just take a look at some code. The application I found this in is actually much larger, but I managed to reduce it to what follows. I moved all the files into the same directory to make it a bit clearer:
Code:

$ cat index.php

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);
require_once('config.php');
require_once('Smarty.class.php');

$page = new Smarty;

$page->template_dir = '.';
$page->compile_dir  = '.';
$page->config_dir   = '.';
$page->cache_dir    = '.';

$page -> assign('test', 'test');
$page -> display('index.tpl');
?>

$ cat config.php
<?php
$var2 = "config\n";
?>

$ cat index.tpl
{$test}
{include file="footer.tpl"}

$ cat footer.tpl
{include_php file="random.php"}
{$var2}

$ cat random.php
<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);
require_once('config.php'); /* same config.php as included in index.php */
$this -> assign('var2', $var2);
?>

Here is the output:
Code:

$ php index.php
test

Notice: Undefined variable:  var2 in /home/steven/public_html/tests/smarty_tests/random.php on line 4

But, when we remove the require_once call in index.php, it works as expected:

Code:

$ php index.php
test
config

I think that well demonstrates the problem I am having, however, it probably seems way over complicated in its current form, so let me explain it in the context my application uses it:

/home/me/templates - my general templates
/home/me/templates/includes - common templates (header, footer)
/home/me/includes - my libraries/configuration files
/home/me/public_html/ - my files to be publicly accessed

Now, I want to be able to display a random quote on the bottom of every page. I was hoping to get away with *not* having to assign that template variable on every single page (this is exactly what the include_php manual page says it is useful for). So, I have something like this, which is more or less a replica of the above footer.tpl:
Code:

/home/me/templates/includes/footer.tpl :
{include_php file="random_quote.php"}
<blockquote cite="{$quote.author}">
    <p>{$quote.quote}</p>
</blockquote>

Now, random_quote.php needs to access the same library files which, say, index.php in /home/me/public_html needs to access, therefore, they both contain identical require_once() calls. This is pretty much exactly like the {include_php} example in the smarty documentation, so I don't understand why it is not working for me.

Also, removing the require_once() call in random.php, and relying on the one set in /home/me/public_html/index.php does not work either - same undefined variable notice.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm really lost here. If you need any further clarification - just ask. Also, I am not particularly set on this solution. If you know a better way to achieve my overall desire - having a random quote on every page without having to assign it on every single page - feel free to share that as well.

TIA

[edit: fixed formatting a little]
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, require_once() includes the file just *once* as the name may suggest. use require() if you want to include the same file multiple times.
stevenv
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh.

I was under the impression that it would be pointless to require the same file multiple times. I suppose it has something to do with scoping issues. (I could have sworn I tried that though, but it's hard to keep track of these things.)

Thanks
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, this could also be seen as a scoping issue. instead of re-requiring the file, you could also say
"global $var2;" in your random.php. the index.php has global scope, where files included by include_php have the scope of a smarty-method. this means all global variables are not visible by default to the included php, but have to be declared "global" to be visible.

HTH
messju
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: