Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Relax (controlled) Error Handling

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Need more control on Error Handling?
yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
no
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
what error handling?
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 3

olympic
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Relax (controlled) Error Handling Reply with quote

There were allready some request pointing in the same direction.

I would like to have the "feature" to ignore errors, and pass "unknown" tags to the result - that is i want :

A) controll when and how error messages are generated (without subclassing the Compiler).
B) control substitution of unknown tags.

I basically have the need to process a template twice (e.g.)

Code:
$smarty1=new Smarty();
$smarty1->assign...
$pass1=$smarty1->fetch(...)

$smarty2= new Smarty()
$pass2=$smarty2->fetch($result_from_pass1)

Note: I can only assign a subset of "vars" at pass1, the unknown vars should be processed by a second smarty object (that doesn't work right now).

(I can't assign these vars in pass1, because the second pass is done by posting the result to a webservice which is using smarty.)

So what I would need is a settings that allows to ignore errors(if possible) and an option that controlls how to ignore errors, that is, pass the error to the result or fix/ignore it.

Simple example again:
Input:
Code:
<html>{$var1}{$var2}</html>

Code:
$foo=new Smarty();
$foo->assign('var1','bar');
$res=$foo->fetch('** FILE**');

The result is
Code:
<html>bar</html>

but i need either an error like:

var2 not found
OR a passthrough so the result would be:
Code:
<html>bar{$var2}</html>

I think a fast and clean solution would be to allow to set a callback for errors, unknown element with default behaviour set like now (error, ignore)

Note: I only showed examples for simple variables, but my request is also for complex tags.

For your interest:

We do create a personalization of documents, which requires to
generate a "default template" at step1 and fill in the personal/individual text at a second run.
The second run will process the result from pass1 1xx.xxx times and has to be done on a complete different server, so
we do not even know which tags/vars are allowed/available on server2.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: