Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

{insert}-php-function should be a "true" callback

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warhog
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: {insert}-php-function should be a "true" callback Reply with quote

I'm using PHP5 and i really like the new OOP-functionalities.. therefore, most of the applications i build are written as classes/objects/... . Each time I have to use the {insert}-function, i wish, the function given by the name-argument could be a callback-handler as described in the PHP-Documentation: http://de2.php.net/manual/en/language.pseudo-types.php

Maybe we could pass a callback via assign (or a new function assign callback, maybe
Code:
$smarty->assign_callback('myfunction', array($obj, 'functionx'))
so that in the template we can use:
Code:
{insert name="myfunction"}

It would help me quite a lot.

Another feature which has to to with the {insert}-function is.. caching is never done for it, but in some cases it would be usefull to have caching enabled - also for {insert}s - maybe as a new parameter?
e.g.:
Code:
{insert name="myfunction" caching="yes"}

where the default for caching is no (false).

so far

greetz, Warhog
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at block functions? They can use class methods, and they can be cached/non-cached.

As for insert functions, they are always non-cached. Use a normal template function (which can be a class method) for cachable content.
Warhog
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aah! thanx a lot, that helps me quite well.. i just browsed throught the manual and didnt read the descriptions properly, as i thought that the possibility of handling a callback would be designated so.

than there is only one thing i'd suggest: (@ http://smarty.php.net/manual/de/api.register.block.php ) - change
Code:
void register_block ( string name, mixed impl, bool cacheable, mixed cache_attrs)

to
Code:
void register_block ( string name, callback impl, bool cacheable, mixed cache_attrs)

i think that would help a lot of people who are fit in PHP and are looking (maybe too fast) for answers Smile

I apologize for any inconveniences, however thanks a lot Smile
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea since the php manual does also use "callback". i think it didn't use "callback" when I wrote the prototypes for register_block() in the manual. I'll update that. Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: