Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

HowTo use Debug to avoid using echo when develop. your code

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isidor128
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: HowTo use Debug to avoid using echo when develop. your code Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been using Smarty for almost 2 years for a 14000 user community.
The site was first coded with xtemplate but when I'd to take it over I wasn't comfortable with this template solution.

I investigate and decided to switch to Smarty, port from Xtlp was not complex and could be done very quickly (but without taking advantage of all Smarty capabilities)

On point I left over on this time was to do something convenient for displaying variables and development comments when testing the code.

Today I'm in a process to re-engineer the site and my first action was to find a clean way to handle Debug outputs.
BTW Smarty offer a very nice Debug Console so I decided to tweak it to display not only the Smarty Debug Info but my own $vars and comments.

As I'm happy with it, I wanted to share it with you.

First (and that's nothing to do with Smarty Smile ) we could setup DEBUG parameters to initiate or not Debugging output

[php:1:66a65f65f4]<?php
//****************************
// Activation Debuging
//****************************

// Set 1 to Initiate DEBUG actions
define("DEBUG", "1");

// Define there your own IP so only you will see the DEBUG output
define("IPDEBUG", "82.228.128.40"); #MyIP

// IPCNX refers to the Visitor IP
define("IPCNX",$REMOTE_ADDR);

?>[/php:1:66a65f65f4]

Now we have to define a Syntax:

For example function name could be: uDebug($var, $val)

and whe could decide that :
    If $var start with '$', $var is considered to be a variable or an array (As SmartyDebug do)
    If $var do not start with '$', $var is considered to be a text (i.e. will not be truncated As SmartyDebug do)
    if $var equal 'title', $var is considered to be Title ($var will be displayed on the full width of the table)

and the Function could be written

function uDebug($name, $val='') {

if (!$val) $val='unset';

if (DEBUG && IPDEBUG==IPCNX) {
$this->append("UserDebugKey",$name);
$this->append("UserDebug",$val);
}
}
Easy Isn't it ?

For sure the function need to be linked to Smarty so this have to be done this way

class Smarty_Mine extends Smarty {

function Smarty_Mine() {

// Class Constructor. These automatically get set with each new instance.
$this->Smarty();

$this->template_dir = SCRIPT_DIR;
$this->compile_dir = SMARTYCOMPILE_DIR;
$this->config_dir = SMARTYCONFIG_DIR;
$this->cache_dir = SMARTYCACHE_DIR;
$this->compile_check = true;
$this->debug_tpl = SMARTY_DIR.'debugmine.tpl';
$this->debugging = true;
$this->plugins_dir = array('plugins_mine','plugins_validate','plugins');

$this->assign('app_name','Mine');
}

// And the Debug Thing

function uDebug($name, $val='') {

if (!$val) $val='unset';

if (DEBUG && IPDEBUG==IPCNX) {
$this->append("UserDebugKey",$name);
$this->append("UserDebug",$val);
}
}

}?>[/php:1:66a65f65f4]

---------------------

Now we are ready to Hack the debug.tpl

I will not show the full debug.tpl but only the section where I've nested my code:

[php:1:66a65f65f4]....
_smarty_console = window.open("",title.value,"width=680,height=600,resizable,scrollbars=yes");
_smarty_console.document.write("<HTML><TITLE>Smarty & User Debug Console_"+self.name+"</TITLE><BODY bgcolor=#ffffff>");
_smarty_console.document.write("<table border=0 width=100%>");
_smarty_console.document.write("<tr bgcolor=#cccccc><th colspan=2>Smarty & User Debug Console</th></tr>");

_smarty_console.document.write("<tr bgcolor=#cccccc><th colspan=2><b>User Debug Console</b></th></tr>");

{section name=vars loop=$UserDebug}
{if $UserDebugKey[vars] eq 'title'}
_smarty_console.document.write("<tr bgcolor=#cccccc><td colspan=2><font color=darkblue><b>{$UserDebug[vars]}</b></font></td></tr>");
{* elseif preg_match('~^\$~',$UserDebugKey[vars]) *}
{elseif substr($UserDebugKey[vars],0,1) eq '$'}
_smarty_console.document.write("<tr bgcolor={if %vars.index% is even}#eeeeee{else}#fafafa{/if}><td valign=top><tt><font color=blue>{ldelim}{$UserDebugKey[vars]}{rdelim}</font></tt></td><td nowrap><tt><font color=green>{$UserDebug[vars]|@debug_print_var|escape:javascript}</font></tt></td></tr>");
{else}
_smarty_console.document.write("<tr bgcolor={if %vars.index% is even}#eeeeee{else}#fafafa{/if}><td valign=top><tt><font color=blue>[<b>{$UserDebugKey[vars]}</b>]</font></tt></td><td nowrap><tt><font color=green>{$UserDebug[vars]|wordwrap:50:"<br />"|escape:javascript}</font></tt></td></tr>");
{/if}
{sectionelse}
_smarty_console.document.write("<tr bgcolor=#eeeeee><td colspan=2><tt><i>no User Debug Information</i></tt></td></tr>");
{/section}

_smarty_console.document.write("<tr bgcolor=#cccccc><th colspan=2><b>Smarty Debug Console</b></th></tr>");
....[/php:1:66a65f65f4]

I invented nothing, just adding a few line to swhat was there....

------------

Now we're done so we could use it where we want...

$smarty->uDebug('title',"My Own debug section");
$smarty->uDebug('title',"* John Doe was there");
$smarty->uDebug('$array1',$array1);
$smarty->uDebug('$var1'$var1);
$smarty->uDebug('MyOwnQRY',$MyOwnQRY);
// If YourOwnQRY is very long You'll undestand why I added this action based on '$' at the first position of the first parameter Smile

Is that all ?

- No for sure not You've now a few hours chasing the old 'echo' & 'print_r'stuff in your scripts
Laughing

Hope that's Helpful
Regards
TGKnIght
Smarty Junkie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome!! Woohoo no longer must I constantly type

[php:1:f87d6e78ef]
echo "<pre>";
print_r($_POST);
echo "</pre>";
[/php:1:f87d6e78ef]

Kudos to you!
Custom Smarty Javascript Debug Template
Hielke Hoeve
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also assign the $_POST (or any other wanted item) var to the template engine and view it in the debug popup.

Editing a site while "in production mode" is not sensible imho, but you idea is a good one. This way people can't see the debug info they don't need.
TGKnIght
Smarty Junkie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this might be the easier way to just assign it to Smarty so that it is output in the debug panel...

But at the same time, I think the idea of making a seperate method makes sense.. The whole point of the templating engine is to seperate presentation from logic...

If I start assigning a bunch of variables to Smarty for debugging purposes that have no direct relation to what is being displayed in the current templates... Well it would get what I consider messy once the app grows larger.

Doing it this way you have a seperate category of "application" variables in addition to the regular "display" variables.
Custom Smarty Javascript Debug Template
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: