Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Smarty... only in perl?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markguy
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Smarty... only in perl? Reply with quote

Before I get flamed, understand that I want to use Smarty... it's that the powers-that-be are understandably concerned about the lack of inhouse PHP experience compared against the wealth of perl experience. I've used and enjoyed Smarty quite a bit, I just can't use it for this project... no matter how much I kick and scream.

So I went and looked at HTML::Mason and TemplateToolkit, amongst others, which are perl templating systems... all with a key difference from Smarty. They don't seperate the code and presentation logic in any meaningful way. Their templates are a single page with a mix mash of code and HTML... you can call other templates from within a template, but that's just more code/HTML.

I want the far clearer seperation with all code logic in the called script and all the presentation logic in a seperate file that the script calls. You know... just like Smarty. Only in perl.

Anyone have a good suggestion? Either a system more closely resembling Smarty or a way to force this behavior in the perl systems. I have some experience with Mason (it's been a couple of years) and the administration nightmare still grips me some nights, but it's the leader in my forced alternatives.

And again, telling me to just use Smarty is no help... I'd like to, believe me. There's nothing I can do or say that will make that happen. Appreciate any comments, advice or sympathy you might be able to send my way Wink
markguy
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, I find the probable answer soon after posting. It looks like HTML::Template is as close as I'm going to come.

Other suggestions will still be appreciated.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: