Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Including dynamic template in another template

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeXus
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Including dynamic template in another template Reply with quote

I have one template that is being displayed from a php file, i want to then include this into another template... but when I try to include the php file, it just doesnt seem to work..
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Show us how you are trying to accomplish this. On its own, "doesn't work" is difficult to parse Wink
GeXus
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Smile

This is what i'm doing.

I have categories.php -> displaying to -> categories.tpl

then i have main.php -> main.tpl

I want to include the output from categories.tpl inside the main.tpl, but the categories.tpl has to be processed by the php.

So in the main.tpl I tried doing

Code:

{include_php file='/path/categories.php'}

But I get

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class smarty in /usr/local/lib/php/Smarty/Smarty.class.php on line 65

But i would like each page to work independantly as well, so I don't want to remove the declaration, and I dont think that will work either.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably do a require_once (or include_once) but you might want to consider using a singleton (or even better, a factory or even a registry) to instantiate your Smarty object. The basic idea is that each script would then do something like:
Code:
require_once 'SmartyFactory.php';
$smarty = SmartyFactory::getInstance();

where your factory creates a new instance (and configures it) only if one hasn't already been created -- otherwise it returns the previously created instance.

An example of the idea is here: http://www.phpinsider.com/smarty-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5300

HTH
GeXus
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, thank you!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: