Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Dynamic websites

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeken
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Dynamic websites Reply with quote

Hi, on my websites ppl can update there forms via a form. Lets put me as one of my viewers. I view my profile. It displays all the info about me that the database holds. I then click a link that takes me to a different page(dif template and php page.) In that form I update it and the form calls itself up. After I submit it it reloads the page and the same values are still there. Its a enctype/data form so I cannot refresh, I will just get a blank page but if I leave that page and come back everything is normal.

Also other pages where I get the information from the database I have to refresh those page before the info will update. Except, Im my form above, If I forward it to one of these pages usind header() It will have the right values in it. Please help. The most recent thread about cacheing didnt help I tried lots of thing like this:

[php:1:c295b398f6]
$smarty->force_recompile = TRUE;
$smarty->cache = 0;
$smarty->clear_all_cache(0);
$smarty->clear_compiled_tpl();
[/php:1:c295b398f6]

Whats going on?
If this is the way smarty works then I cant use it(which would be a shame) because my website is going to be a very very dynamic website.

--Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- it's $smarty->force_compile
- it's $smarty->caching

do you have caching turned on on your forms-based pages?
did you read: http://smarty.php.net/manual/en/caching.multiple.caches.php ?

if you have caching turned on and don't use cache-ids your pages' output may never change before the cached templates expire.

check if your pages work with $smarty->caching=false.

if you didn't employ caching in the first place, i don't know what's going wrong with your setup, sorry.
mikeken
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the weird thing is that

[php:1:6a272046be]var $caching = 0;[/php:1:6a272046be]

Should I continue on with everything else you said, try it out?

--Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mikeken
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I discovered something. After updating my page, and remember I have it set to not forward anywhere after it updates the database and all that other good stuff, I can click a link that goes to a page that will retrieves that data, and it will work, but if I type it in the address bar I have to refresh for the data to update. Do you know why this is, does this have something not to do with Smarty?

Thanks.

Also, I was actually thinking of switching to a different template engine because of this. So I went looking, I only found junk, I never realized smarty was "that" much better then the rest, All the other ones were especially more confusing to install. Anyways...
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@teknoeacid: I'm not sure I followed your problem exactly, but it could be that your browser is caching results.

Make sure you know where all the (likely) caches are in your delivery chain:

application specific (if any); smarty; php accelerator (if any); web server cache (if any); proxy cache(s) (if any); browser

Tell your browser (particularly IE) to ALWAYS check the source page for updates. This doesn't disable caching, it just forces the browser to see if its cache is valid or not.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: