Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Event Handler

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enginemike
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Event Handler Reply with quote

How does one get an event handler inserted into code generated by smarty.

As an example I would like to end up with a piece of code that looks like

<input type="checkbox" name="box" onevent="doSomething" />

I can get the javascript "doSomething" to render but haven't figured out how to get the event handler into the input tag.

Thanks
enginemike
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: [Solved] handling Events Reply with quote

Don't know if it's the right way but I solved the problem by using a config file.

I put the event handler as a global variable in the event file such as

event_handler_1 = 'onclick="clickThis()"'

and then loaded it as a variable in the applicable tag such as

<input type="button" value="Click Me" {#event_handler_1#} />

Seems to work fine
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put javascript right in the template if you want, you just have to escape curly braces.
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Just unoobstrusive javascripts only Reply with quote

Once upon a time, I used to write the inline javascripts with hte reusable the smarty template variables. Later I found it to be a bad and poorest idea: It is not managale all the times. Instead, you MUST write unobstrusive javascripts only.

This gives you a complete freedom to do whatever a javascript can do, withing the template. For example, make a list of the elements you would like to install the events on. After the page display completes, just before the </body>, instert a javascript in similar way as below: (Be sure to use your smarty loops, if you like)

<script>
function click_this()
{
// do something here
alert('You clicked me: {$click_message}!'+this.id);
return(true);
}

// You can make a smarty loop, if needed.
document.getElementById('click_element').onclick = click_this;
</script>

My point here is now:
You must loop over how you define the click_this() function and document.getElementById. Just note that, since, you are within the smarty template, it supports writing the javascripts using smarty loops for multiple elements.
slyydrr
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just a friendly reminder too, don't forget your {literal}{/literal} tags Smile
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Use external java scripts, or, write literal tags in comment Reply with quote

Whenever you write all your javascripts in an external file, you never have to face problems with { and } delimiters. It is good, if you remember to use {literal} and {/literal} tags.

Here is my trick, although not necessary all the times:

// {literal}
// {/literal}

or,

/* {literal} */
/...
/* {/literal} */

This does not seem a big problem. But the trick is to fake the editors that they assume our {literal} tags within comments, and disregard coloring. For example, it works well while you are editing CSS and Javasciprts, using Dreamweaver.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: