Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Question about nested templates

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mud
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Question about nested templates Reply with quote

I am completely new to Smarty, but I ever did Templating with PHPLIB's templates. At that time, I was used to use different template, one for each element. So I had one index.tpl, one menu.tpl, one poll.tpl etc.

It was quite easy for me to maintain & to fix problems for each of my elements.

So here is the question:

Arrow Can Smarty perform multiple inclusions?
Arrow Did I took the good logic to "dissect" my site?
Arrow If Smarty can, is this kind of logic fast to implement?
Arrow Was Smarty designed to do this kind of job?

I asked these questions, because, contrary to other template's systems, like fasttemplates, I didn't found ANY tutorials related to inclusion of files.

Thx for all answers, When I tried it, I made Smarty my own.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should work fine with Smarty. You can include templates, nest includes and assign the result of the template to a template variable. You can have dynamic inclusion and you can load templates not only from the filesystem, but also custom resources.

See: http://smarty.php.net/manual/en/language.function.include.php
mud
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Thanks for the advice Reply with quote

I'll try it very soon.... just hope that it will be easy to "convert" my old PHPLIB like website...
mud
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Information request Reply with quote

What can I do if I have one principal template which looks like this one

index.tpl
Code:

<html>
<body>
<table>
   <tr>
       <td>{include file="menu.tpl"}{*AREA 1: THAT DON'T CHANGE AT ALL*}</td>
       <td>{*AREA 2: FOR LOTS OF DIFFERENT KINDS OF TEMPLATES*}</td>
   </tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>

Arrow The problem I have is to code the AREA 2. As it comes from several templates, depending of the situation, I don't know how should I process.
Question Should this logic be implemented in the associated php file, with assign function? Or can it be done in a different, more professionnal way?
Question I would like to know if there is a complete tutorial on how to process nested templates (I have the impression that I'm the only one who want to do this!)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: