Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

config datas from database

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webstar
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: config datas from database Reply with quote

in this thread http://www.phpinsider.com/smarty-forum/viewtopic.php?t=13&highlight=config+data+database I read it doesn't work until now.

I want to know if anyone have written a function which works like {config_load ....} but using a database?

Yesterday, I tried to do this. But unfortunately it didn't work. Sad
xuguoxin
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: config datas from database Reply with quote

webstar wrote:
in this thread (http://www.phpinsider.com/smarty-forum/viewtopic.php?t=13&highlight=config+data+database) I read it doesn't work until now.

I want to know if anyone have written a function which works like {config_load ....} but using a database?

Yesterday, I tried to do this. But unfortunately it didn't work. Sad

Very Happy it is my problem
[SuB]
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I just started using Smarty in one of our remotely hosted applications, and this feature is critical to me too.

I intend to put it into my extension class, so I will post the code here when I'm done... probably be in the next few days or so.

I will also submit it to the Smarty team and see if it helps them.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once did something similar, but I write to mention that the developers are indeed working to try to get config_files to use resources. When it will happen, I don't know Sad

Good luck.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't in the core yet... that will probably be a little ways off yet. You can roll your own function, or extend the Config_File class to do what you need.

Monte
[SuB]
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it hard to implement?
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it hard to implement?

If you mean to implement yourself, it is--straightforward. The main things you need to do are:

1) Create a new configuration class for your storage type. If your new class extends Config_File (current cvs) then you probably only need to override load_file() to deal with your specific storage type. Your class file should be stored in your Smarty dir and should be named using the same convention as used by Config_file.class.php.

2) set $smarty->config_class = 'your_class' when Smarty is instantiated (for example, in your custom Smarty class' constructor).

At this point, Smarty will now use your custom config class for config_load. If you want to enable multiple handling types (similar to resources, eg. 'db:default') then there is more work to do--more too than I list here. In this case, you will have to create a modified version of the default function plugin, function.config_load.php. Instead of using a resource naming scheme (which you can probably rig with some work) it is simpler to control the config class selection with a new custom parameter to config_load. There are certain issues to be considered (eg. managing instances of various config classes) which make this additional step less appealing.

Awhile ago I did a small experiment against 2.5.0 to support multiple types. I could probably find it if I looked around. It could be a starting point if you decided to support multiple types, but I would suggest trying the simpler approach. If you only intend to load configuration data from a single storage type, then steps 1 and 2 should be sufficient.

Good Luck!
[SuB]
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems simple enough... another testament to the good design of Smarty.

As a follow on, what's the reason it's not slated for short term inclusion into the core Smarty code? I presume cause you will want it to be a robust feature and not just a small add on?
juchen
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a problem!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: