Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

still alpha?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevenhillsr
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: still alpha? Reply with quote

The web site announced Smarty3 alpha on Dec 2, 2008 that indicated that a Beta version was a "few more weeks" away. I have been watching the site for a while now anticipating Smarty3, and have yet to even see a beta release. I have come across a product called DWOO that claims to be derived from Smarty and I am wondering if I should look into this or wait for Smarty3. I am close to starting a new project and will be using php5. I know that I could use Smarty2 with this, but I have concerns about php5/php4 compatibility issues. Not that I know of any in particular, only that I would rather keep it all as php5, which makes me realize that I am assuming that Smarty3 is php5.

Anyway, any insight into when Smarty3 will be production ready would be appreciated. I assume I am not the only one wondering.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smarty public beta is taking much longer than initially expected. Mostly because of lack of extra time. My life has turned upside down over the last year (marriage, child, moving, etc.) BUT, that said, Uwe has been making strides in progress on Smarty 3. There is really one thing left to finalize in the SVN code base and that is the use of Smarty::instance(). We are just getting some things cleaned up internally and I think Smarty 3 is ready for the first public beta.

There are already several folks deploying the SVN of Smarty 3 on real projects with great success. You can ask in the dev mailing list how it's going for them. If you decide to try it, Uwe has been very responsive to any issues that come up, and those have been less and less lately.
Karel S.
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, we are rebuilding or main website with Smarty 3. The "old" one is using Smarty 2. This is a huge project and we are using a lot of Smarty functions. Can't find any bugs, Smarty 3 alpha is just working fine.
stevenhillsr
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. This sounds very hopeful then, I will grab the svn and play with it in hopes that it will be ready when I am. Smile
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Monte said I am currently working on changes to allow multiple instances of Smarty. This modification affects a lot of of the internal classes, but I should be able to finish the work on it soon. Also during the last couple of weks I had little spare time to work on the Smarty 3 project.

Anyway bugfixes will get my attention with high priority.
mitchenall
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.Tews wrote:
As Monte said I am currently working on changes to allow multiple instances of Smarty.

So no more singleton? Great news if that's so. I never really understood that design decision in v3.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a singleton, but you can access any number of smarty instance with it. Whats wrong with that decision? Singletons are very purposeful.
mitchenall
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
Still a singleton, but you can access any number of smarty instance with it. Whats wrong with that decision? Singletons are very purposeful.

I really don't see the point. If an application needs to have just a single instance, let them create their own singleton instance. It seems the Smarty class itself is doing too much. There should be a separate factory or repository, and let that worry about instance creation, rather than polluting the Smarty class itself.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are certainly welcome to use your own factory. If you have a plugin or other component that needs access to the Smarty object and you don't have such a factory setup, Smarty::instance() is there to give you just that.
mitchenall
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
You are certainly welcome to use your own factory. If you have a plugin or other component that needs access to the Smarty object and you don't have such a factory setup, Smarty::instance() is there to give you just that.

Plug-ins have access to the instance they're called from. If I need a separate instance, I'd use a factory/repository. Maybe you can give a better example, but so far, it looks like you're breaking the Single Responsibility Principle by having this in the Smarty class, and for no perceivable benefit. Just an opinion.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a valid argument, and it's just a convenience option. Smarty can handle its own exceptions too, and you can argue that this should be left to an external handler (which it can.) There are a few things in Smarty that tend toward convenience vs. text-book OO. There are a lot of people that don't have an OO framework they are dropping Smarty into, so we try to help the lowest common denominator, so long as the impact is negligible.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: