Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Could you guys rewrite Smarty in C?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonylee
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Could you guys rewrite Smarty in C? Reply with quote

Hello,

I just tested the performance of both Smarty and Blitz on local, and I found the Blitz would be faster 50 ~ 100 times than Smarty.

But the Blitz syntax is not easy to understand and cannt implement what I need easily. (In fact I has been used to the style of smarty, I have worked base on smarty for several years).

I just recommended you guys could rewrite Smarty in C language, Just be like the Blitz, it is bounded inside PHP.

Thanks
Tony
tonylee
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward more faster SMARTY!
douglassdavis
Smarty Junkie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonylee wrote:
I am looking forward more faster SMARTY!

It would be a headache to have to compile it on each platform.

Are you having speed problems with Smarty?
yrizos
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smarty is quite fast (haven't had a chance to play around with v3 yet), but as every piece of php code, sometimes it's not fast enough.

I would really love to see some core functionality moved into a php extension, especially the parser / lexer. It could be something like a companion extension, that is utilised only if it's available. What I love about smarty is that it seems to always be a step ahead, so this may be a fairly logical direction.

Compilation for different systems is always a horrible task, but I think it's one the community could be extremely helpful with.

New features are always nice, but I think most of us using smarty in larger projects would be thrilled to see performance oriented development instead of features, especially since smarty's feature set is quite larger than any similar project.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: