Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

$smarty ->display(tpl,cacheid,compress)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hinrichs
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to find the steps to make apache handle the compression at the apache layer. I am running apache 2. My development server is windows (staging/production is linux). I cannot seem find a working compiled mod_gzip for windows+apache 2, or at perhaps I cannot documentation that works. When I download "ApacheModuleGzip.dll" and try to load it, my apache will not start.

Seems like I am getting into non-smarty territory here but if anyone can point me to a good resource on this I would appreciate it.

As for the other track I am looking into, I cannot get php 4.3 on windows to compress the page by setting the zlib.output_compression. Are there additional settings that need to be set? Or is this perhaps related to the 4.3 bug listed above?
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brave soul. I'm sort of waiting for Apache2, but it seems nearly pointless for me to bother getting up the curve with it until PHP is supported there. Wink How is that going for you? Have you had many problems with the PHP filter for Apache 2? Please tell. I myself got very unsatisfactory results on a w2k box and the prospect of running PHP in CGI mode didn't appeal to me, so I left Apache2--for now. Seems like all the recent security bulletins for Apache were for the 2.0 branch as well. I guess its just not ready enough, tested enough or battle hardened enough for me yet.

I agree that doing wire compression at the socket server (ie. appache) is the right way, though. Why not come back into the safe, comfortable and warm arms of Apache 1.3.27 where you know you can not only get working, debugged modules, but support as well?

Just a thought and good luck!
hinrichs
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess I like livin' on the edge. Twisted Evil This is a site that is soon to launch. For what we have been doing, Apache 2 has worked fine for us. We have not had to load any special modules. PHP has been working fine also, and we are running them on Win and Linux. The site has not yet launched and I thought that I would try Apache 2 first, and if it worked, we could have an easier time maintaining it once it is up, and Apache 2 becomes more standard (won't need to migrate to 2 after launch). As we had not used apache much before, I also thought that as long as we had an apache learning curve, why not learn the latest/greatest?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: