Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

smarty compiler function

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebediah
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: smarty compiler function Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm using the newest stable version of Smarty (Smarty 3.1.7), I am using PHP 5.3.5 on an Ubuntu server.

My test code

I've written a simple compiler function in a file called smarty_compiler_action.php.

Code:

function smarty_compiler_action($params, $smarty){
      $action = $params['name'];
      return $action;
    }

I have registered the compiler function like this:

Code:

include_once 'smarty_compiler_action.php';
    $smarty = new Smarty();
    $smarty->registerPlugin('compiler', 'action', 'smarty_compiler_action');
    $smarty->display('test.tpl');

and I have the following template 'test.tpl':

Code:

This is the return of the compiler function: {action name='my simple test'}

The output

Registering the compiler function works perfectly fine and I get the following output:

Code:

This is the return of the compiler function: 'my simple test'

My question

The question I am having is the following: Why are the single quotes included in the parameter value?

I would be expecting the following output:
Code:

This is the return of the compiler function: my simple test

i.e. without the single quotes. Is this intended behavior, i.e. do I have to strip the quotes myself in the compiler function or did I just oversee something?

It's not a problem to strip the quotes, I just wanted to verify that the quotes indeed ARE intended to be included in the parameter value for a compile function. I would like to be compatible with future versions of the awesome Smarty...

Any help/insights/feedback would be more than appreciated!

Thanks and all the bests,
Jeb
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiler functions are designed to return PHP code in <?php ... ?> tags for the compiled template. The Parser is designed to pass the parameter in way that they can be included directly in the resulting code. So if you pass a string it does include the quotes. If you pass a variable it does not pass the value but the string which with the variable access code.

If you need a plugin which does not generate PHP code you should use a function plugin and not a compiler plugin.
jebediah
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi U.Tews,

thanks a lot for this. I'm indeed trying to implement an include functionality following the functional design principle.

I was just trying to give a minimal example and sorry for not making the example semantic. I appreciate you answer very much!

Thanks a lot for this,
Jeb
dslava
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: smarty compiler function Reply with quote

Hi

One can register smarty functions any time before the smarty output is called...so frontend_header sounds like a suitable register_function call to me?

Is it plugins that you need to define strings in every language, or the main code? I can never remember.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Plugins All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: