Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Force all assigns to root scope.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calguy1000
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Force all assigns to root scope. Reply with quote

Smarty 2 did not have the concept of 'scopes'... and we built a whole CMS around that concept. i.e: you could assign a variable in a sub-template, or a plugin, or a resource handler, (wherever basically) and use it in the main template easily. As long as the variable was 'assigned' before it was used in the flow of the template. We created a singleton Smarty object, and all assigns were referenced to that object.

i.e: main.tpl
Code:

{myplugin assign='foo3'}
{$foo1}{* should output bar1 *}
{$foo2}{* should output bar2 *}
{$foo3}{* should output bar1 *}

function.myplugin.php:
Code:

function smarty_function_myplugin($params,&$smarty) {
  $smarty->assign('foo1','bar1'};
  $out = $smarty->fetch('myresource:myplugin_tpl');
  if( isset($params['assign']) ) {
     $smarty->assign($params['assign'],$out); return;
  }
  return $out;
}

myplugin_tpl (probably stored in database)
Code:

{$foo1}
{assign var='foo2' value='bar2'}

of course, this plugin could possibly call other plugins that use different resources, etc. and create additional variables.

Smarty 3 of course, changed all of that. And although in principle I love the new variable scoping stuff, we have an existing CMS with tens of thousands of websites running with the older style so we cannot break backwards compatibility (completely) with a new version of the software.

So my question is.. how can I force assign() and {assign} and {capture} to always assign to the 'root' object, instead of to the local scope?

In a perfect world, I would like the scoping to be explicit, rather than implicit. i.e: if I called $obj1 = $smarty->createTemplate() or $obj2 = $smarty->createData and assigned variables to either of $obj1 or $obj2 then they would not be in the root scope... but absolutely everything else would. i.e: {assign var='foo' value='bar'} would always add a variable to the root scope. Also, in a perfect world this would not interfere with the function stuff, or template inheritance, or any of those other nice features of smarty3.

Using alternative functions for {assign} and {capture} and for $smarty->assign() is not an option due to backwards compatibility problems. However, if possible, I can override them.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

assign() is always the root scope of the current tpl object. As for {assign} you can pass the scope as stated in the manual:

http://www.smarty.net/docs/en/language.function.assign.tpl
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have not observed one major change between Smarty 2 and Smarty 3.

Smarty 3 does no longer pass the Smarty object but the template object to plugins.

In your case you must indirectly access the Smarty object.

Code:
function smarty_function_myplugin($params, $template) {
  $template->smarty->assign('foo1','bar1'};
  $out = $template->smarty->fetch('myresource:myplugin_tpl');
  if( isset($params['assign']) ) {
     $template->smarty->assign($params['assign'],$out); return;
  }
  return $out;
}

For an assign from template you can use the scope attribute.

Code:
{assign var='foo2' value='bar2' scope=root}
rodneyrehm
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While your last reply was totally correct, it did not address calguy1000's main concern, Uwe.

I believe what calguy1000 is looking for is a way to (from plugins) not only assign values to the current scope, but also have them assigned to the higher scopes.

If I'm not mistaking, this is pretty much what we've been talking about the other day. You already put the "bubbling assign()" on the ToDo for 3.2.

When we discussed this, we thought of the bubbling as an opt-in thing. Something you'd have to explicitly request when assigning data. How about making this "bubble or not" thing configurable through $smarty->bubble_variables = true;?
calguy1000
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@rodneyrehm you are 100% correct.

I've been emailing @U.Tews about this issue (and sent some sample code).. illustrating the problem.

I've spent a day looking through the most of the code (except for the lexer and parser they scare me Smile ). And came up with a thought similar to yours. What I am thinking would be nice is a new smarty class member variable, something like:

public $assignmentScope = Smarty::SCOPE_LOCAL;

Which would be used by the assign() method, and the various compiler tags, and anywhere else there is an 'assign' attribute to a tag, to decide whether the assignment should 'bubble up' or stay at it's current level. For smarty2 compatibility, the $assignmentScope variable could be changed to Smarty::SCOPE_ROOT ... a scope argument to the tag or to the assign() method could override this.
Aristophan
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask, if that ever came into practice?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: