Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Whats the fastest way to load the templates

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbrad0
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Whats the fastest way to load the templates Reply with quote

I am in the process of upgrading from smarty 2 to 3 and thought I would see what the fastest way to load the templates.

We are currently passing objects to the template and calling the object functions instead of assigning each variable. We are doing this because the pages are very dynamic. All of the templates are stored in a database to make it easier to monitor new versions of the page along with being able to go back to an older version very quickly. We can switch the way we keep track of the templates and store them on the server HDD, but which would actually load faster? The site is still storing the compiled cache php page from a folder, but it does query the DB a couple times per each template that is loaded. So if a template loads in a header template, sidebar template and footer template (4 templates) that means it runs 8 querys on the DB (on another server). It seems like it would be better if it read the timestamp from the template file to see when the last time it was created instead of querying the DB but just wanting to get other opinions.

I also thought I read somewhere that you can use memcache with smarty. Is this another way to increase the performance of a high traffic site?
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smarty 3 can combine compiled templates and make template loading very fast, less disk IO. I wouldn't bother moving things out of the db into files for the purpose of speed. Caching will save db calls. If you have caching enabled, you can use memcached to store the cache for a memory based cache fetch. I think you can do that in Smarty 2 as well.
redbrad0
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will leave the templates in the DB then.

Our server does have memcache running, which I will look into enabling for smarty but this brings up the last question about caching. If I turn on smarty caching and memcache for smarty, it will only cache the template and not the data correct? When a new order is placed or a product is sold out it has to display it right away. If it is only caching the template code but reads the new variables assigned to it then I will be good to go, but just wanted to double check.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caching stores the output of fetch() or display(). if you need dynamic vars, you can mark variables as not cached, but it may be better to just leave caching off. of course compiled templates do not recompile between page loads if templates do not change.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: