Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Undefined variable handling

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjinka
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Undefined variable handling Reply with quote

Hello, i want to override the function "getVariable" in class "Smarty_Internal_Data" to manage undefined variable (for example log the variable name or give a default value for some kind of variable or anything else)

Is it possible without modifying directly the smarty core? i want to mantain compatibility to new release as for function bock and modifiers.
rodneyrehm
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smarty 3.2 will have a callback function (default_variable_handler) that will allow you to do what you described. Smarty 3.1.x does not have that API. The inheritance path up to Smarty_Internal_Data is not configurable (basically because PHP does not allow dynamically extending classes).

I don't see a way around hacking that core function to achieve your goal right now.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For default values use the default modifier, see http://www.smarty.net/docs/en/language.modifier.default.tpl.

It's unsafe to modify "getVariable" for this purpose as the variable handling did change internally between different Smarty 3 versions.

With the next major release 3.2 (which is still a bit down the road) we will introduce a default variable handler which is called on undefined template variables and allows all sorts of handling.
ninjinka
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

default modifyer ( |default: ) is usefull if you already know that a variable can be empty or not set.
sometimes you have construct like {${$varname}} that must have different default based on name (like for internationalization)
or anyway complex situation where it's better to handle undefined than default.

For a real case example:
i'm writing an application that have a huge "catalog", for retro-compatibility i can't call catalog with a function by must use directly the index of the catalog as variable, i must so assign each value in smarty (like 1000 variables) this is really memory consuming...

If i can say "if the variable is not set than look inside the catalog" it'll be really better..
ninjinka
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by now i resolved using handling php error but it's not a real solution (i simply add a new variable after the error so next time the page will be loaded there won't be the error again).

I'll wait for the next smarty release or the implementation in php of monkey patch... the first that will come Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: