Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

included templates inside a foreach cannot access variables

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badchecksum
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: included templates inside a foreach cannot access variables Reply with quote

I'm currently upgrading an application to v3 from v2, and I've found that a custom include function and plugin that I've been using is no longer working properly.

Here's an example in the template:
Code:

{foreach from=$myitems item=entry}
    {include file="dir/loc/item.tpl"}
    {myblock file="loc/item"}{/myblock}
    {run file="loc/item"}
{/foreach}

The built-in {include} works as I expect: $entry is available in
"dir/loc/item.tpl".

The other two calls are augmented ways of doing the same thing while providing additional functionality. The same template loaded in the latter 2 calls does not have access to $entry in v3, but it does in v2.

How the latter includes work:

I've extended Smarty and added a run() function to the subclass. It also acts as a singleton. The run() function calls $this->display() to load the files after checking to see if an associated PHP script exists. So, in the examples above, it would look for "dir/loc/item.php", and include that, if it exists, prior to displaying the template file "dir/loc/item.tpl" using smarty.

I've looked at the Smarty_Internal_TemplateBase::fetch() code and noticed that it's actually merging sub template vars with parent template vars, so I really don't understand why it's not working the way I expect it to.

Can anyone tell me if what I'm doing should be working in v3, why or why not, and if there's a normal, alternate way of doing this?
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if $entry has a value inside the foreach loop, I don't see why it wouldn't be there. As a test you could try this:

Code:
{include file="dir/loc/item.tpl" entry=$entry}
badchecksum
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt

Quote:
The built-in {include} works as I expect: $entry is available in "dir/loc/item.tpl".

The built-in include works fine.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a major difference between Smarty 2 and Smarty 3.

In Smarty 3.1 templates are excuted in the context of the Smarty_Internal_Template class which holds the merged parent and local template variables. This template object is passed as second parameter to your {run...} plugin.
See http://www.smarty.net/docs/en/plugins.functions.tpl

You must call $template->display(...) from your plugin to see also the variables assigned within the calling template.

A singleton of the Smarty object ($this->display(...) ) will always see only the variables originally assgined to the Smarty object.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badchecksum wrote:
mohrt

Quote:
The built-in {include} works as I expect: $entry is available in "dir/loc/item.tpl".

The built-in include works fine.

Ah, mis-read that. Smile
badchecksum
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.Tews wrote:

See http://www.smarty.net/docs/en/plugins.functions.tpl

You must call $template->display(...) from your plugin to see also the variables assigned within the calling template.

Ah, this is great! Very Happy Thank you so much. Now my run function can do this:

Code:

public function run($params, $template=null)
{
    if (!is_object($template))
        $template =& $this; // $this is smarty
}

... and the block functions can pass their $smarty parameter as $template, and it works perfectly in all cases again. Thanks again. This saved me so much trouble.

And thanks mohrt for taking a look, too.
Very Happy
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, no need for the =& (pass by ref) in PHP 5.
badchecksum
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:

That's a reference assignment. It's a style choice in the case of what I posted. In general, I prefer to indicate explicitly when I'm using a variable as a reference to another. And references created by a standard assignment versus explicit reference assignment do have different behaviors.

Code:

$obj = new stdClass();
$obj->test = "member";

$ref = $obj;
$ref = "variable"; // only $ref is set to "variable"

$ref =& $obj;
$ref = "variable"; // $ref and $obj are set to "variable"

Re-using variables (as in the first case) can be very helpful, but it can also obfuscate the code if it's used all the time. If I'm creating a variable to use it solely as a reference, I want it to be clear that that's what it is.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badchecksum wrote:
mohrt wrote:

That's a reference assignment. It's a style choice in the case of what I posted. In general, I prefer to indicate explicitly when I'm using a variable as a reference to another. And references created by a standard assignment versus explicit reference assignment do have different behaviors.

Code:

$obj = new stdClass();
$obj->test = "member";

$ref = $obj;
$ref = "variable"; // only $ref is set to "variable"

$ref =& $obj;
$ref = "variable"; // $ref and $obj are set to "variable"

Re-using variables (as in the first case) can be very helpful, but it can also obfuscate the code if it's used all the time. If I'm creating a variable to use it solely as a reference, I want it to be clear that that's what it is.

I see, I didn't see it was intended for handling a reset of the variable, but for referencing the object itself like PHP4 did.

Code:
$obj = MyObj();
$a = $obj;
$b =& $obj;

$a->foo = "zip";
$b->foo = "zap";

echo $a->foo; // zap
echo $b->foo; // zap

reference or not, it is the same object. and yeah, references usually lead to difficult-to-debug code, so I just avoid em unless there is a strong case for it Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: