Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Smarty Theory - Should template define required content?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOddPerson
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Smarty Theory - Should template define required content? Reply with quote

Hello

I am programmer, I've built a few websites previously but this is my first time using smarty, php, and I haven't used much Javascript before.

I'm using PHP 5.4, Smarty 3, MySQL 5.5 with Apache 2.2 on a Raspberry Pi.

Anyways my question is this --

Should it be left to the template designer what content to display on specific pages or should it be hard coded into the .php file?

ie:
index.php includes:
Quote:

$smarty->display('htmlstart.tpl');
$smarty->display('header.tpl');
$smarty->display('userbuttons.tpl');
$smarty->display('leftmenu.tpl');
$smarty->display('search.tpl');
$smarty->display('content.tpl');
$smarty->display('othercontent.tpl');
$smarty->display('morecontent.tpl');
$smarty->display('map.tpl');
$smarty->display('footer.tpl');
$smarty->display('htmlend.tpl');

..and there could be more..

I guess there could be a bunch of 'ifs' in the php customizing the content, or perhaps I could let the browser request (Get/Post) define which content is displayed..

or should the template be able to call upon each of those 'modules' as it needs. I would like the website to be as dynamic as possible and having each component/module of the website segregated into divs and placed into it's own .tpl file seems like a logical solution but may make the actual presentation code of the website messy.. say when I want to display a list of articles and only display edit/moderation buttons for certain users.

soo I was thinking of rather than having the .php code define what data the presentation code gets and what files it needs to display, I could possibly have the html code request whatever data/modules it needs whenever the template designer thinks it's necessary.

I'm just not certain how I would program that with javascript or perhaps I should be using a different language or method?

I would like to get a handle on the 'theory' and 'best practices' of using Smarty before I'm several hundred lines down the wrong coding path.

Thank you all for your help.
TheOddPerson
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*pretends to be someone else*

See Template Inheritance
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To load required php modules and data from the individual templates you could use plugins.

See http://www.smarty.net/docs/en/plugins.tpl
and http://www.smarty.net/docs/en/plugins.functions.tpl
The function plugin could fetch required data and assign it t template variables.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: