Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Trapping runtime errors

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synchro
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Trapping runtime errors Reply with quote

I'm aiming to have user-facing Smarty templates. This means I need to go heavy on security settings and error handling, and so far it's working well.

I'm trapping compile time errors nicely and that's working really well. More difficult is runtime errors, in particular undefined indexes, undefined variables. I have an error handler in my template class and that gets called when those errors occur, but the contextual info I receive isn't as good as what's available for compile-tme errors. In particular the line numbers don't relate to the template, but usually to the smarty_internal_templatebase class which throws the error. Is there any way I can squeeze some better, more accurate info out of these errors?

Alternatively, is there some way I can validate assigned variables against a compiled template before trying to run it?
Synchro
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not managed to get anything more out of Smarty, but I have managed to come up with a reasonably effective solution to this. I'm pre-parsing the template with the stack of assigned vars in hand, and looking for any instance of vars or array references that don't match what's in the assigned vars. This lets me trap bad vars and wrong indexes before smarty gets involved. With a bit of PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE I'm also able to extract error line numbers and the code at fault.

I'm making it throw Smarty compiler exceptions so that they look the same as Smarty's own errors, which simplifies reporting and presentation quite a bit.

If it gets past that, it then goes on with a smarty trial compile and fetch where an extra error handler and exception catcher deals with the errors that smarty does detect nicely.

I'm sure there will be some edge cases it doesn't catch elegantly, but it covers the vast majority of likely errors.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Smarty 3.2 will trace back errors with template source line information.
But I have currently not yet a release date.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: