Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Smarty Complex assignment - possible?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robo
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Smarty Complex assignment - possible? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am currently forced to use Smarty 2.6.12 and I'd like to know if the following problem is my misunderstanding, or perhaps a bug that has been fixed in a later version.

This code creates test data that is (in structure) similar to my real data:
Code:
class Abc {
   /* some properties */
}

class Foo {
   public $abcTab;
   public $ix;
}

$f1 = new Foo();
$f1->abcTab = ARRAY( 1 => new Abc(), 2 => new Abc() );
$f1->ix = 2;

$f2 = new Foo();
$f2->abcTab = ARRAY( 3 => new Abc(), 1 => new Abc() );
$f2->ix = 1;

$tpl = new Smarty;
$tpl->assign('fooTab', ARRAY($f1, $f2));
$tpl->display('mytemplate.tpl');

So, my simplified data structure is an array of objects, each containing another array of objects and a locator index. In reality, I have more locators and do more with abcTab than shown below, so I don't think that I can translate my data into a simplified representation when I transfer it into the template.

Now in mytemplate, I iterate over fooTab and per loop, I want to retrieve the Abc object in the $abcTab collection at index $ix, because I need to display it's properties and call some helper methods on it. I try it like this:
Code:

{foreach from=$fooTab item=foo}
  {assign var='anAbc' value=`$foo->abcTab[$foo->ix]`}
  Here is your {$anAbc->Bling} entry for {$anAbc->Do()}.<br>
{/foreach}

But Smarty misinterprets the assign, it compiles it to "`".($this->_tpl_vars['foo'])."->bar[".($this->_tpl_vars['foo'])."->ix]`"

What works is this (but I don't like the two-step approach):
Code:

{assign var='ix' value=`$foo->ix`}
  {assign var='anAbc' value=`$foo->abcTab[$ix]`}

Is this two-step assign necessary, or are there later Smarty versions that understand the oneliner? Or is my one-liner plain wrong?

Greetings Smile
Robo
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Smarty2 versions have the problem when object properties are used within other object properties like your array index.

It has been resolved in Smarty3 but I think this is currently no option for you.

So you have to use your work around.
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found Smarty3 to be a simple drop-in replacement for Smarty2. The only issue is if you're using PHP code in templates, which you should really never do.
I suggest to migrate to Smarty3 at the nearest possible occasion. I.e. today.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: