Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Smarty v2.6.6 doesnt generate .php form template - Err 404

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limberjack
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Smarty v2.6.6 doesnt generate .php form template - Err 404 Reply with quote

Hello there, i am in bad situation so i want your help
i have to add new tab in HTML menu. The menu tabs are linked to .phps compiled with smarty v2.6.
I am noob with php and smarty either, so please dont be harsh!

For the test i just copied one of the templates rename it and link it in the menu. The templates are in dir /templates
I delete all files from template_c and all templates are compiled except newer one. So when i click on the new menu tab i am getting Error 404 Requested URL was not found - which is normal because i cant get .php from the new template

I have try to give rewrite permisions on apache2 and tried different options in Smarty.class.php - with no results

Is there some file where to give path to the specific template file (in Smarty.class.php the path to the templates and compiled files are OK) There is something that i am missing but i don't know what?

Please for your help!

Regards!

let me know if you need more information.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Templates are not in the URL path. They are included by PHP. So your URL must go to a PHP file.
limberjack
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
Templates are not in the URL path. They are included by PHP. So your URL must go to a PHP file.

That is right the templates are not in URL link but the compiled phps.
The question is how to force smarty to compile new php from new template. The template (new_users.tpl) is located in /templates and the compiled php (%%some%number%%users.tpl.php) should be in /template_c. But when i open the web and try to open the URL new_users that should be linked to new_user.tpl.php, it shows me ERROR 404 URL not found
I have been trying to force compiling from Smarty.class.php but no success
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But when i open the web and try to open the URL new_users that should be linked to new_user.tpl.php, it shows me ERROR 404

Where does new_user.tpl.php come from? That is not something Smarty creates. The smarty template is not something you directly link to. Normally you might have a php file such s new_user.php that does the following:

$smarty->display('new_user.tpl');

new_user.php would be something you would develop.

Now, it is possible to have a PHP script that dynamically loads a template file depending on the URL. Again, something you would develop, not something Smarty does itself. For example, the Smarty online documentation does this.
limberjack
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
Quote:
But when i open the web and try to open the URL new_users that should be linked to new_user.tpl.php, it shows me ERROR 404

Where does new_user.tpl.php come from? That is not something Smarty creates. The smarty template is not something you directly link to. Normally you might have a php file such s new_user.php that does the following:

$smarty->display('new_user.tpl');

new_user.php would be something you would develop.

Now, it is possible to have a PHP script that dynamically loads a template file depending on the URL. Again, something you would develop, not something Smarty does itself. For example, the Smarty online documentation does this.

OK morht you got me now... i am sorry for my incomprehension in smarty... My basic problem is like alot young and untrained developers, the developed site is left for support to untrained web developer.

Lets talk about working web. I have this structure:

Code:
/webserver

/smarty
      /libs
         /internals
         /plugins
         Config_File.class.php
         index.php
         Smarty.class.php
         Smarty_Compiler.class.php
         debug.tpl
      index.php

/templates
      /cache
      /configs
      /templates
         /methods
            users.tpl
      /templates_c
         %%C2^C29^C29A4629%%users.tpl.php
      index.php
      .htaccess

When i delete the content from/templates_c and log into menu users from the web browser. The content of /templates_c is back. Until now i though that smarty compile (generates) the .phps and what i need is to create .tpl file. Now i see that i was totally wrong.
I don't know where is users.php file.

Now i try to add another link that is called new_users, and i just copy/paste users.tpl and rename it to new_users.tpl and i did expect new_users.tpl.php to be compiled somehow in /templates_c....and it didn't work - so i am wrong as you said.

If i am understanding right i need to create new_users.php and use smarty functions to compile new_users.tpl. OK it's looks easy.
What about this %%C2^C29^C29A4629%%users.tpl.php file. I don't know how it is showed in /templates_c, but if i modify it and refresh the page the page will change.

Looks like i need some step by step tutorials, i am not even good in php but unfortunately i allready started....
Thanks mohrt, i owe you a beer!!
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files in templates_c are automatically created by Smarty when a template is loaded. So for example, if you have a template named new_users.tpl and in somewhere in your PHP code you load that template:

$smarty->display('new_users.tpl');

Then the templates_c/new_users.tpl.php file is automatically generated. You rarely need to concern yourself with the files in templates_c directory. It is out of sight, out of mind. Smarty manages the files in there. You never directly create or access them, they are internal to Smarty.

So in your current PHP code, somewhere the users.tpl file gets loaded. If you create a new_users.tpl file, then somewhere in your PHP code you need to load it, likely similar to how users.tpl file is loaded.
limberjack
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
The files in templates_c are automatically created by Smarty when a template is loaded. So for example, if you have a template named new_users.tpl and in somewhere in your PHP code you load that template:

$smarty->display('new_users.tpl');

Then the templates_c/new_users.tpl.php file is automatically generated. You rarely need to concern yourself with the files in templates_c directory. It is out of sight, out of mind. Smarty manages the files in there. You never directly create or access them, they are internal to Smarty.

So in your current PHP code, somewhere the users.tpl file gets loaded. If you create a new_users.tpl file, then somewhere in your PHP code you need to load it, likely similar to how users.tpl file is loaded.

I came to this conclusion since the begining, but didnt find the .php which load the data into the templates. i have tried to find the person who created the website but he isnot developer in the company since 4-5 years and evein if i find him probably he will not remember what he have done.

So i am alone with your support. Thanks mohrt for the support, let me PM you and not to overload the thread. I will post the solution if we find one.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: