Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

The Logic of Templates (massassi.com)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Article Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dmittner.

I have to say, it was interesting to re-read that thread again (I wouldn't have remembered it if you had not posted) and I thank you for your kind words. Mostly, I find it interesting to revisit all those old arguments (for and against) and feel that they still ring true. In fact, it seems to me that domain specific languages are becoming all the rage these days and I find it fascinating that certain other PHP-based solutions seem to be increasingly progressing towards the same goals that Smarty has been trying to address for so long. Or maybe I'm wrong on that, but I do think Smarty has from the start been looking to address the right sort of needs that developers have.

FWIW, I still feel the same way that I did when I posted my original comments. Smarty does a particular job really well while addressing the needs of two separate but related audiences. It isn't the right tool for all jobs or all users, but when it finds its match, it proves itself over-and-again to be a valuable tool. I think I've mellowed a lot since those early (and old) posts, but somehow, Smarty still seems to be exactly what I need. How nice to see others think the same way. It may seem funny, but I'm actually very glad to see that others have taken a different tact and have come up with other solutions that many have found to better suit their ideals. AFAIC, this is not a competition and I think everyone benefits from dialog, discussion and diversity. Still, it is not surprising to me that even after all these years, Smarty still does exactly what I need. Which reminds me: THANK-YOU Monte! THANK-YOU Andrei! THANK-YOU Messju! THANK-YOU all Smarty contributors! You have done a great service to the PHP community! The only way I have known to show my gratitude is to try as much as I can to contribute back to the community in turn. I'm very grateful for to the whole community to have allowed me to try to do so, as small as my own contributions have been.

...and thanks again, dmittner, for your comments and also for the trip down memory lane! Wow, was I ever that young? Smile

PS. is Smarty fast? Hell yeah!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Article Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: