Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Embedded vars in config files
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Sommer
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Embedded vars in config files Reply with quote

Are we gonna make the embedded-var-in-config-var stuff soon?

PLEEEASSSEEE

Last edited by Tom Sommer on Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom. You seem so anxious for this, I hope you get it!! But only if it is done right Wink

I was wondering: when should the variables be evaluated? During the template load? I think this would imply no compiling of config files and no caching either.

Hmm. Would an eval operator (something like {@#cnfvar#}) work for ya? Could be a useful operator in other cases, too.

How about a custom resource that reads templates from--config vars (I'm going to go code one right now to see if it works okay).
Tom Sommer
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?

No, it would be compiled... without a doubt... why not?

It's just a matter of replacing

"Hello `$nick`, welcome"
with
"Hello ". $this->template_vars['nick'] .", welcome"

or whatever the array with template vars is called

mohrt's got something planned... Thats why I'm asking

consider this:

**** my.conf ****
welcomemsg = "hi `$nick`, welcome"

**** my.php *****
$smarty->config_load('my.conf');
$smarty->assign('nick', 'John');
$smarty->assign('welcome', $smarty->get_config_vars('welcomemsg') );

$smarty->display('my.tpl');

**** my.tpl ****
{#welcomemsg#}
{$welcome}

**** output html ****
Hi John, welcome
Hi John, welcome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Makes sense. I guess what I was thinking is that the caching is an issue, but with individual caches available, perhaps that can be worked around. It will be interesting to see how it works out. Still seems like it will make config files more template like which means slower.

Does look like it can be useful. I already have other ways to deal with things like this and I'm sure that Mohrt's choices to handle this will work out well.

Good luck!
Nagger
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tom sommer

your example will NOT work, because of the compiling. this is one of the pitfalls with variables in compiled config files.

you have to assign the nick before loading the config_file!
otherwise
"Hello ". $this->template_vars['nick'] .", welcome"
(which will be evaluated at config_load)
leads to "Hello ,welcome".
Tom Sommer
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nagger wrote:
@tom sommer
you have to assign the nick before loading the config_file!

No, I don't think so...

The var just has to be there before display() is called
Tom Sommer
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole point is that the backtics signify if it is an embedded var, if that is the case, you just have to consider that at compile/display time
Tom Sommer
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I see your point now.... MONTE!!!
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rembered the {eval} plugin. Why doesn't

{eval var=#welcomemsg#}

float your boat? Right, the compilation occurs at runtime--but results are cached!

-- Aside1:
with config_load now out of the core, you can override the default functionality to fetch the config file as a template before it does its assignments. I think that would give you exactly what you are looking for.

-- Aside2:
I remember seeing something on the dev mailing list about work to add sections to templates. That would be bonus in a situation like this. I wonder what the syntax for something like that would be.

{include file="snippets.tpl section="welcomemsg"} ? Looks messy.

Perhaps if a reference to a template could be made we could get something like:

{$snippets|section:welcomemsg}

or even

{%snippets.tpl|section:welcomemsg}

Last edited by boots on Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom Sommer
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm eval, we discussed that... not good for performance... not good for compile (I don't use cache)
Tom Sommer
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my idea would be cool Very Happy
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my aside 1 will implement your idea transparently. I'm going to get the latest CVS and try it out. If it works ok, I'll post it here.

Hey, I'm now tagged as a Smarty Coder here on the site. Cool!!
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. two problems already:

1) exposing config_dir to the template engine (I might use a custom resource loader for now)

2) caching: I *think* that the config file will need to know what context it is being called from so that it can create different cache id's for specific templates. hmmmm.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While working on an updated conf_load, I realized that it relies on the Config_File.class to load the file from the filesystem in:

Code:
            if($_config_vars = array_merge($smarty->_conf_obj->get($_file),
                    $smarty->_conf_obj->get($_file, $_section))) { ... }

It would be really handy if we can pass the text of the file instead so that it can be loaded from a custom source. In my case, I want to pass to get() the results of a fetch. In the meantime, I think I will create a new function based on the variable assignment portions of get() and load_file().
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got it working somewhat, though I'm having some problems with caching. Do config files have different rules for caching than templates? It doesn't look like they do from what I looked at. hmmm.

Update:
Actually, I think I just figured out my REAL problem: I don't have the ability to save individual php as the compiled conf vars. With my current code, I've disabled compiled config files (ie. the serialized vars array) but the underlying config file is still compiled as a template Wink. It works pretty well, but it can be better. The performance is good. Caching is still not contextual. More work to do, but it is usable.

I JUST noticed the $smarty->config_class attribute which I take I can use to override the default config class handler.

EDIT:

I'll take it a little further if anyone is interested. For myself, I'm not even using config vars at the moment as I've built an experimental hierarchical data loader (templated) which allows things like {$Mydata.myfield.mysubfied} and for which I've already handled pre- serialization.

UPDATE++

I think I got cache_ids and compile_ids supported now which really helps speed things. Still not serializing $_config_vars to file which means there is still a slight compilation penalty compared to normal config_load. Was thinking about adding a new attribute to conf_load (say eval?) to control whether default config loading or templated config loading is performed. Still working on how to best work it in to the code base.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: