Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

"escape" variable modifier: errors, and needs more

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Documentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtgriscom
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: "escape" variable modifier: errors, and needs more Reply with quote

In the English 2.6.14 documentation (and probably others), the description for the "escape" variable modifier, "html" variant, is wrong. The example claims that it escapes "&", "<", ">", """ and "'" characters, but it only escapes the "&", "<" and ">" characters.

More generally, the escape variable modifier could use a lot more information about the different variants.
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenn I run ...|escape:html I get ' and " escaped to *#039; and *quot; (* should be ampersand but phpbb is too stupid)
dtgriscom
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, heck: now this isn't a documentation thread anymore...

My tests show that the results are browser-dependent. On Firefox 1.07/WinXP, Firefox 2.0.0.6/OS X, and OmniWeb 5.5.4/OS X, "|escape:'html'" does this:
- "&" escaped to "&amp;"
- "<" escaped to "&lt;"
- ">" escaped to "&gt;"
- "'" escaped to "'"
- """ escaped to "&quot;"

However, using IE6 under WinXP, "|escape:'html'" does this:
- "&" escaped to "&amp;"
- "<" escaped to "&lt;"
- ">" escaped to "&gt;"
- "'" is NOT changed!
- """ is NOT changed!

There's also a difference in how "|nl2br" functions. On IE6/WinXP, any "\n" is changed to "<br />": the "<br />" replaces the "\n". On the other browsers, any "\n" is changed to "<br />\n": the "<br />" is inserted ahead of the "\n".
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtgriscom wrote:
My tests show that the results are browser-dependent.

*never*. php (and smarty) is run on the server not in the browser.
maybe your browsers are lying to you. use curl it will tell you the true source.
dtgriscom
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that smarty runs on the server, not the browser. I was assuming that there's some browser-specific code. However, now I find that the problem was (surprise, surprise) IE: using the "Save As... Web Page, Complete" option changes the HTML, while using the "Save As... Web Page, HTML Only" does not. Final results: no browser differences.

I'll still say that there needs to be more documentation on just what the different escape variable modifier options do, so that people won't have to test to see the exact results.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Documentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: