Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

The battle of PHP templates

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Article Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: The battle of PHP templates Reply with quote

Another interesting article from Rev Jim.

http://revjim.net/item/10082/
saerdna
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed interesting, it gave me something to think about. I never used any other template engine other than smarty, the fact that smarty is a subject to competition was new to me. Anyway, why do they (php savant) claim php is a template language? Because it's interpretated instead of compiled? No there must be something else which i don't know of?
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saerdna wrote:
Anyway, why do they (php savant) claim php is a template language?

PHP is a template language. One of It's main goals is to produce output which is constant text interleaved with dynamic bits embedded inside <?php ?> delimiters. IMO It's just not a rather good one Smile
saerdna
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah using <?php tags everywhere in a template doesnt destroy the readabilty, i promise Smile
Syntax-Error
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saerdna wrote:
yeah using <?php tags everywhere in a template doesnt destroy the readabilty, i promise Smile

lol yea. But, if you use methods like the one shown here, then you remove third party systems all together. I've found this very tempting.

Also, I've noticed that in almost every article I read about the comparison of Smarty and PHPSavant they claim PHPSavant is the way to go with only a single developer (possibly more trusted developers), but if you wish to let users edit thier own templates, they all admit that Smarty is the right choice. My current project doesn't require user-editable templates, so I'm thinking of not using Smarty or PHPSavant Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ninja-Tech
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked full intigration of html output with source code, it is ugly, lazy and messy. In PERL I always used templates and when migrating to PHP I saw how quick and dirty program could be combined with your HTML but it still had a funny smell to it. For people like me Smarty is a perfect sollution, for now.

Seperation of code and templates IMHO is the best way to go, changing design should in no way break code. Templates are not code, but can effect the state of your code. It's great to see Smarty handle templates in way that fits templates, not what fits code.
Leipe_Po
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

other then that, when you have total noobs, they can messup the code,
and then come complain that its not working, i used to use php in my templates, but the current project i'm working on requires some easy to use templates, and because its build to manage huge load, it need caching... smarty was the first thing that poped in my mind....
El Hombre Gris
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is what has been going on... I recently read this article at Zend Developer Zone:
http://devzone.zend.com/node/view/id/1026

and thought: wtf? they are still singing the same old song?

I don't know what to think anymore.

PS: (reality check) PHPSavant is just vaporware... if you have been a php developer for longer than a year, you already have your own "PHPSavant" that works more decently, and customised to your own needs, than PHPSavant.
vic62
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, very nice article, thanks for sharing
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about this?

http://hasin.wordpress.com/2008/01/05/once-upon-a-time-there-was-smarty/

Since I learnt and used Smarty in many projects, I am getting now options - either to use it or not, or even use Smarty or some other template engines? Or, MVC itself?

Does anyone know, if there are posts on comparing performances among the various template engines?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Article Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: