Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

True templating with Smarty

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Article Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: True templating with Smarty Reply with quote

There are several software that come with a kind of embeded template engines. In last 5 years of my professional life, I happened to work with many of these engines.

But since three years, I am voting 100% to Smarty only.

The simple software like ZenCart has named a folder/sets of folders for templating. But it seems quite unfamiliar or difficult for new designers make a new theme.

Magento, though a big application, has clearly limited the templates into two sets (images, and design files).

PHPBB's template engine looks amazingly nice, but is yet harder to start with.

Many other templates are for variable replacement and basic tags support only.

However, Smarty isn't a kind of software I noted earlier. It is a dedicated template engine, and you need to learn how to adapt it to a new software. It is useful particularly, when you are creating a NEW software only. But the possibilities are unlimited. It is one of the most documented software than any other template engines.

I have not experienced serious problems when hosting on low-performance servers either.

The problem with most of the embeded template engines is that, their templates are not truly templates. Most of them contain native php coding in one or other forms, which a designer definitely hates. Even grown up designers even cannot understand most of the embeded javascripts. Embeded/inline javascripts are irritating even to me. After sereral years of life with Smarty and related projects - now, I am habituated in externalizing the css/javascripts, and thus producing TRUE templates (no php coding, no more application logics in Smarty Templates thouh it supports them, and no time loss in producing new templates).

My tip is:
Please download a .chm copy of the documention,
Read it out for 2-3 weeks, and learn the basic fetures that Smarty supports. At the end of the month, you can come up with non-competeting, extra-ordinary quality in your templates.
elpmis
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx bimal - cant say it better Smile!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Article Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: