Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

new {function} tag allows recursion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: new {function} tag allows recursion Reply with quote

Smarty 3 has now a new {function...} tag. It allows to define a "function" within a template.
This allows to reuse code sequences and the best of it is that it can all itself recursively.

See the following example for e nested menu ouput.

Template file:
Code:

{function name=menu level=0}
  <ul class="level{$level}">
  {foreach $data as $entry}
    {if is_array($entry)}
                  <li>{$entry@key}</li>
               {menu data=$entry level=$level+1}
    {else}
      <li>{$entry}</li>
    {/if}
  {/foreach}
  </ul>
{/function}

{$menu = ['item1','item2','item3' => ['item3-1','item3-2','item3-3' => ['item3-3-1','item3-3-2']],'item4']}

{menu data=$menu}

Generated output:
* item1
* item2
* item3
____o item3-1
____o item3-2
____o item3-3
_______+ item3-3-1
_______+ item3-3-2
* item4

The function tag itself must have the name attribute. This name will become the tag name when calling the function. The function tag may have any number of additional attributes. These will be default settings for local variables.

When the function is called by its name the attributes will become local variables eventually overwriting the defaults.
jLix
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to overwrite existing functions, like {function name="foreach"}...{/function}?
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is possible to overwrite the standard Smarty tags.

I forgot to mention that the scope of the function is local. It can only be called within the template which defines it.
jLix
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.Tews wrote:
I forgot to mention that the scope of the function is local. It can only be called within the template which defines it.

... and all templates that are included from within that template I guess. Or not?
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, currently the function is only known within the template in which it was defined.
jLix
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to let included templates inherit the function, or make that optional through a parameter?
douglassdavis
Smarty Junkie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is nice! i was just thinking about something like this...

jLix wrote:
Would it be possible to let included templates inherit the function, or make that optional through a parameter?

yea that would be good.

templates included after the function is defined, edit: on second thought, this one may not as much sense. Question Question

or, if a template includes the file it could see the function.

since you can override smarty tags, could this cause any type of security issue? And why would one want to override a smarty tag?

Last edited by douglassdavis on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
douglassdavis
Smarty Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since there was no reply, i would like to say I am against being able to override smarty tags. changing the way, for example, a foreach works just seems like it would lead to trouble. And you can always create a function with a different name that does what you want.

But, what I would like to see is the ability to create a globally defined function available in the plugins directory.

It would just be a .tpl file, and work just like the php files work now.

That should be pretty easy to implement since you've already got the functions.

And since the whole purpose of a function is re-use... why be limited to reuse in one file?
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's for all of your input.

I will look into the requested features during the next couple of days and keep you updated.

Uwe
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With todays update of the SVN the {function} tag no longer can overwrite standard Smarty tags.

Also functions defined with the {function} tag are now available in subtemplates.

Uwe
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scope of functions defined with the {fuction} tag is now always global. The fuction can be called from any template after it has been defined.

For reuse of functions you can create template files which just contain the function definitions. They can be included to make the functions available.

Uwe
jLix
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.Tews wrote:
With todays update of the SVN the {function} tag no longer can overwrite standard Smarty tags.

U.Tews wrote:
The scope of functions defined with the {fuction} tag is now always global. The fuction can be called from any template after it has been defined.

How about plugin functions then?

Say I'm working on a project in which I include my {json} plugin and later on, in the same project, another front-end engineer defines a json function of his own using {function}, which works slightly different. Will this corrupt the {json} function defined by the plugin?

If so, wouldn't is be better to use a standard prefix for functions that are defined with {function}, for instance using an underscore:
Code:
{function name="fn"}...{/function}
{_fn}

Some other prefix suggestions:
  • tpl_
  • %
  • =
  • ~
But any prefix that's not likely to be the beginning of a current plugin function will do.

Spam: the aforementioned {json} plugin can be found at http://jlix.net/extensions/smarty/json Cool
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Functions defined with the {function} are compiled and stored in the compiled template file. They do not currupt plugins.

When I said that they have global scope it means during the lifetime of the script.

If you have a plugin with same name the {function} definition has higher priority.
nielsNL
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm watching the growing of smarty 3, with some interest. The project i'm working on (www.fusionticket.nl) uses smarty 2 for displaying the content. And i love the simplicity of it. And want to use Smarty 3 when we ready with our own redisgning of that project.

Somehow i think this option is very nice. But i don't want any programming into the templates (also no php in it). It will be nice if it would be posible disable the {function}?

Thanks and keep on working Wink
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the need for having he option to disable the {function} tag as you could still can use all the other Smarty tag like {if}, {foreach} etc. to "program" anyway. You can see {function} also as a marco to reuse any type of template content.

Regards Uwe
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: