Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Can I live without Smarty?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Testimonials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Can I live without Smarty? Reply with quote

Can I live without Smarty? No.

I started using Smarty as core of my every application - since when I saw managers wasting a lot of time in mantaining older websites. Though they may save few hours when they created the first version of their websites, they loose hundreds of hours manitaning the website later on. Future is not so far, and you will soon have to take care of your website agian.

But in my experiences, I have no problems with the websites that I built in 2005. If I can roughly scan through the source code, I refreshen the whole architecture. So, I can lead a good team to solve / manage the new issues in the old projects.

Web project managers who are less familiar to Smarty are always doubtful. This is one of the reason why I should give a reason each time why I want Smarty. Few years later, when I see the older guys doing the older stuffs again, I have a new taste, fresh projects.

Thanks to Smarty again.
antonM
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smarty really has a point in separating presentation from logic so even if i hear other people say that smarty is just an overhead. i think of the advantage it gives in when maintenance comes in. yes, of course it takes a little overhead everytime the page it renders is accessed but when compared to the time it saves for developers. it's really worth it.

so bimal. i agree. Smile
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks antonM.
I have developed more than 100 small and big projects with and without using Smarty. But, I never found satisfaction, if I did not use Smarty.

However, in the darker side, many developers extended Smarty as an active class of their project, which is not necessary at all.

In fact, I see that a better template engine implementation starts by NOT extending the Smarty as core of own application. But I trick by starting it as a global (I mean, defined on the top of config file, and easily available to each of the pages later on). It gave me more maintenance.

Here you can find the comparisions of different template engines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_engine_(web)

Thanks for reading this out.
danielth
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Great Testimonial Reply with quote

Good to know that there's succeful people using smarty. Thanks for share this.

Regards!
Travel Agency
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Branding? Reply with quote

Every products are trying to brand themselves to make the public use them, And there is a competition among who should give more "free" stuffs.

Contrastingly, Code Igniter is another reputable framework to do something without a Template Engine - that it claims to be one of the reason for its speed.

Honestly, we do not have to care this so seriously, because there are articles about using Smarty in Zend Framework (a heavy application!).

So we can forget about the slowness caused by usng a template engine, unless it matters so seriously. For small and middle level applications with fewer numbers of visitor per second, there are always enough memory, bandwidth and time. Smarty wins my vote again, because it has nothing to do with standard frameworks like Zend or Code Igniter, and they cannot be compared at all.
Miami Web Design
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: It's something worth looking into Reply with quote

You all seem so pleased. It's something we''ll look into.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Testimonials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: