Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

issue with objets registered through a template

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shuther
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: issue with objets registered through a template Reply with quote

I think I found a bug(I think), let's see. (found in the last version, but existed in 2.5)
I have a file a.tpl with:
Code:
{include_php file="a.php" once=true }
{Preferences->getValue p1="show_number_events_month" assign="SeeNumberEvents"}

Now, in the a.php file, I have:
Code:
global $smarty, $prefs;

//Traditionnal way
$smarty->register_object('Preferences', $prefs, null, false);

It won't work:
Quote:
Fatal error: Smarty error: registered 'HordePreferences' is not an object in c:\devl\smarty\libs\Smarty.class.php on line 1885

But if I do this now in a.tpl
Code:
{include file="b.tpl"}

And in b.tpl, I have
Code:

It will work. I removed the templates_c directory during each try, because the behavior is weird (if I do the correct thing once, -exemple 2-, and go to the exemple 1, It will work until I clean the templates_c directory).
I was unable to track the issue; it seems that Smarty is checking the method name when it parses the file, before include the php file.

Hope that helps,

Steve
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registered objects are checked at compile-time. You cannot dynamically include an object-registration.
shuther
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: So Reply with quote

That is why I think it is a bug. There is a turnaroung, but it is not very clean. I tried to register a empty object in the main php file, but that doesn't help, because smarty is checking the method name. Maybe a flag to make this check should exist? Or before doing it, every include_php should be run?
What do you think?
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not a bug.

the object is *registered* like a plugin is *registered*. you cannot compile a template and register used plugins with {include_php} while compiling the template, either. what you do is plain bad and a misuse of the concept of registered_objects.

the fact that it works for you sometimes (if you compile the templates in the right order) is a side-effect that you cannot rely on.

it seems you have to use assigned objects for what you want (with all their limitations) or reconsider your (application-)design.
shuther
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Feature request or bug Reply with quote

Ok, for me it is a bug, I am going to explain why:
When we can the a.tpl file
Code:
{include file="b.tpl"}

and the b.tpl file
Code:

It is working perfectly.

If it doesn't work, it is because Smarty checks that the object and the method really exist at compile time. Something that we should (or could) skip in production; or we could do the check after the include_php.

Why is it required?
In the application design I am using, it is working like this:
Each file.php contains more or less:
Code:
$smarty->display('index.tpl')

and index.tpl includes a lot of .tpl and .php file that will do what is required, based on the page seen, and the different parameters.

At this time, everything is working properly, but I need to use the workaround provided above (2 .tpl) instead of just 1, because Smarty is doing a useless check. This issue doesn't happen with assign or assign_by_ref.

So if it is not a bug, would it be possible to take it as a feature request?

Thank you
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Feature request or bug Reply with quote

shuther wrote:
If it doesn't work, it is because Smarty checks that the object and the method really exist at compile time.

correct.

Quote:
Something that we should (or could) skip in production;

wrong. smarty needs to know *at compile time* if {foo->bar} calls a method or accesses an object's property.

Quote:
or we could do the check after the include_php.

wrong. this would intermix compilation and display of a single tpl-file. that's a really bad idea.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: