Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

What's happened with {if ... } ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TTA
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: What's happened with {if ... } ? Reply with quote

Something is wrong with {if ... } tag.
Of course I understand the qoute from README:
Quote:
*) Delimiters surrounded by whitespace are no longer treated as Smarty tags.
Therefore, { foo } will not compile as a tag, you must use {foo}. This change
Makes Javascript/CSS easier to work with, eliminating the need for {literal}.
This can be disabled by setting $smarty->auto_literal = false;

I sure Smarty3 should understand the difference between:
Code:
{ if true }
(to get that as just no smarty tag) and
Code:
{if true }
(to get that as smarty {if} construction). The recent has to be understanding as
Code:
{if true}

Bug?
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Smarty 3 feature that these:

Code:
{ foo }

or

{
  foo
}

are ignored (ie. javscript/css), whereas this:

Code:
{foo}

is recognized as a tag. Smarty is not going to decide mixtures of the two, the syntax is absolute. If you don't like it, turn off the auto_literal (back to Smarty 2 behavior.)
TTA
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: That's the thing! Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
Smarty is not going to decide mixtures of the two, the syntax is absolute. If you don't like it, turn off the auto_literal (back to Smarty 2 behavior.)

Of course I've accepted it clearly. But I think if there is no space between left brace and tag name (like {if or {foreach) Smarty should find the appropriate right either there is space before it or not.
It is obviously, is not it? I hope the most thinks such. Thanks.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With auto_literal= true

Quote:
{if true }
is invalid. It's not a bug.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't obvious, because contexts can be mixed. Smarty understands that spaces around tags are to be ignored, and if you mix them, Smarty isn't going to guess at what was meant to be Smarty tag and what wasn't.
TTA
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
Smarty understands that spaces around tags are to be ignored, and if you mix them, Smarty isn't going to guess at what was meant to be Smarty tag and what wasn't.

Since the first post I try to focus Smarty3 just have to guess and notice such tags (left brace without space and appropriate right brace with possible space). Smarty3 have to consider that as usual tag. Let us make developer survey? You make the product for consumers not for self, don't you?
emt
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Developers - they have established a syntax and it is up to us to follow the syntax, just like we do with any programming language.

I really don't want to have the code bloated by algorithms to try to guess what I mean - and if I truly want there to be a space before the curly brace I don't want the Smarty compiler to guess that I got it wrong, and change it for me!
TTA
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is like you don't understand what I mean. Here is an example gives me the think:
Code:
{if
$Spreadsheet->ObjectTotalQt>1
&&
!$Spreadsheet->SetFilterQt
&&
($Object.$FIELD_TOP && $Spreadsheet->TopDegree || !$Object.$FIELD_TOP && $Spreadsheet->Degree || $Spreadsheet->UseToggle)
}

The example worked right before S3 update. And now I must set the right brace just after last bracket of condition. So I can't visually embrace where the condition is finished because it ends out of screen. I have to scroll to find the end. The question is the innovation is useless and even harmful in this case, is not it? Don't say I try to off auto_literal because I use it for JS and CSS.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTA wrote:
It is like you don't understand what I mean. Here is an example gives me the think:
Code:
{if
&&
&&
($Object.$FIELD_TOP && $Spreadsheet->TopDegree || !$Object.$FIELD_TOP && $Spreadsheet->Degree || $Spreadsheet->UseToggle)
}

The example worked right before S3 update. And now I must set the right brace just after last bracket of condition. So I can't visually embrace where the condition is finished because it ends out of screen. I have to scroll to find the end. The question is the innovation is useless and even harmful in this case, is not it? Don't say I try to off auto_literal because I use it for JS and CSS.

What you are demonstrating here is an ambiguity in syntax, because the closing tag syntax of a CSS/JS block is identical. Smarty will not try to decide what context you are in on the closing tag. It's not about coding for the customer, it's about a logistical problem that works best if we keep the syntax absolute. When Smarty encouters the "}" tag, it does not know if it is inside the context of the IF block or not. Even if we did go to the trouble of making the compiler work that way, imagine the debugging confusion if you left a closing brace off of a smarty tag or CSS block, and the compiler picked up another one further down the page for it.

Smarty needs to know what each { and } is for in the template, either a Smarty tag, or non-Smarty tag, and the identification method is by inspecting the adjacent white space. If you don't like that, turn off auto-literal and escape the JS/CSS yourself.

And (somewhat OT) You are demonstrating some complicated IF (business) logic that could be consolidated into a plugin or modifier to keep the template syntax lighter, ie. {if $Spreadsheet|ss_show} OR, do that calculation php-side and assign a simple flag, such as {if $show_spreadsheet}. This keeps the template (view) squarely focused on the task at hand, and not the business logic it took to get there.
Lemon Juice
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTA wrote:
Code:
{if
&&
&&
}

The example worked right before S3 update. And now I must set the right

I imagine that in normal html page flow this would not cause any problems but if the block were placed within a css or js section then things would get complicated, while theoretically this is doable for the parser it could end up in a mess and debugging confusion for people. Probably the best solution is to keep it strict like the devs say. If you can't live with it you can create a prefilter that will strip the space before the closing brace in such cases.

BTW, are you using an editor without a word wrap feature?
TTA
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
And (somewhat OT) You are demonstrating some complicated IF (business) logic that could be consolidated into a plugin or modifier to keep the template syntax lighter, ie. {if $Spreadsheet|ss_show} OR, do that calculation php-side and assign a simple flag, such as {if $show_spreadsheet}. This keeps the template (view) squarely focused on the task at hand, and not the business logic it took to get there.

Indeed! This idea has a right to exist -- a modifier. Honestly I confuse by need of my own modifier location "/libs/plugins/". I'd like to bring it out to another dir. Is it possible? Thanks before. But I have not found something in the manual.
In any case it's the best context solution. I've just thought about situation:
Code:
div.main { color: {if ***}red{else}blue{/if} }
And you are right.

Lemon Juice wrote:
BTW, are you using an editor without a word wrap feature?
Of course it exists. My experience says it's not used by me often Smile It's not so easy to find the brace quickly:
Code:
$Spreadsheet->UseToggle)}
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $smarty->plugins_dir value can be an array of directories in case you want Smarty to search through multiple dirs and find the first match. So make your own plugins directory, and let Smarty look there first, and then into its own.
TTA
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
The $smarty->plugins_dir value can be an array of directories in case you want Smarty to search through multiple dirs and find the first match. So make your own plugins directory, and let Smarty look there first, and then into its own.
Oh! Greate thanks! Smile
TTA
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
Unfortunately I've caught the another. So see there: http://www.smarty.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=63901#63901
douglassdavis
Smarty Junkie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
TTA wrote:
Code:
{if
&&
&&
}

What you are demonstrating here is an ambiguity in syntax, because the closing tag syntax of a CSS/JS block is identical. Smarty will not try to decide what context you are in on the closing tag. It's not about coding for the customer, it's about a logistical problem that works best if we keep the syntax absolute. When Smarty encouters the "}" tag, it does not know if it is inside the context of the IF block or not. Even if we did go to the trouble of making the compiler work that way, imagine the debugging confusion if you left a closing brace off of a smarty tag or CSS block, and the compiler picked up another one further down the page for it.

Smarty needs to know what each { and } is for in the template, either a Smarty tag, or non-Smarty tag, and the identification method is by inspecting the adjacent white space. If you don't like that, turn off auto-literal and escape the JS/CSS yourself.

In my humble opinion, the } should be allowed to be separated by non-linebreak spaces. much easier to read and no debugging confusion Smile best of both worlds. Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: