Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Modifying $_GET

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boyer
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Modifying $_GET Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I'm sure there's a simple way to accomplish what I'm looking to do here, and I'm just missing it...

Let's say I have a controller class that extends Smarty, and does all my work for me. At the end of the controllers work, it calls $this->display('myTemplate.tpl'); and we're off to the browser.

Let's say I've got an email inbox, and I've just made a GET request to delete message #999. I pass the parms like this: inbox.php?action=delete&messageId=999.

My controller does it's thing, deletes the message, gets the messages from the db, then displays them back to the user. The problem is, I still have "&action=delete&messageId=999" in the URL bar. If the user refreshes, they'll get an error message stating that message doesn't exist etc etc.

Is there any easy way in Smarty to remove those parameters from GET?
I've tried doing it directly in php before I call $this->display() by doing $_GET["action'] = "" or unset($_GET["action"]) or $_GET["action"] = null, but none of these things do what I need them to.

I really don't want to resort to doing all my actions via POST (means adding more javascript).

Thanks for the help!
elpmis
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to explode() the url with "?" and redirect to "new" URI ?
boyer
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well atcuall I already have some convenience methods written to take the get args I currently have, add/remove/modify them, then build out the new string that would be appended to the URI.

Trouble is, I need my template output to display. I don't want to redirect to another controller first.

Can you think of a usage example where at the end of my controller, but before I call $this->display() that I could implement this?
douglassdavis
Smarty Junkie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you want to modify the $_GET array (at the server), because that would not change the fact that when the user presses refresh (at the client) the browser will request the same page as last time. You will have to forward them to a new page either using this:

http://php.net/manual/en/function.header.php

or this:

http://www.tizag.com/javascriptT/javascriptredirect.php

You could redirect to a generic "Your message has been deleted" page.

But, the real problem is that those types of non-repeatable requests should not be made using GET they should be made using POST.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/methods.html#why
creiglee
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try use...Jacascript Redirect

Lee
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: