Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

I'm making a CMS using Smarty

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Frameworks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucntkilme
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: I'm making a CMS using Smarty Reply with quote

Alright so I've been thinking about this for a while. I hate pre-written code, but doing everything 100% custom is becoming a bit tedious for me.

I could use wordpress, or joomla or something of the sorts sure... But I thought, why not just build my very own CMS system that is a mix between Joomla, Wordpress, and even OsCommerce...

The first step, which is where I am stuck is coming up with a name for it..

The base-release of this CMS will have no plugins, no modules or anything packaged with it. It'll be to make a bare-bones website. basically you'll add navigation through the admin, you will be able to adjust the placement of the navigation and be able to set both upper and footer navigation.

Some modules that I intend to write for it, will be a blog system where you install that and viola you've got wordpress at your fingertips... I'll also build (or let someone else build) a complete shopping cart module for it. I'll probably even build a full-service forum module for it...

My intention in creating different modules for each different type of thing, is both to try and cut down on space requirements but also skip out on the bloatedness of joomla or other CMS's....

What I'll be needing is some possible names for this new CMS which will be done using PHP5, Smarty3, MySQL, Javascript and AJAX using both the prototype framework and a little jquery.

In addition to a name, I'd like maybe a list of things about each CMS that people like, don't like or features they wish a CMS had...

I'm sure I'll be asking a few questions in regard to either a. programming or b. smarty incorporation with programming... While a full release is still undecided, anyone who helps with a name if I choose it, anyone who helps with features i decide to add in, or anyone who helps with code will get a full all-inclusive package if they want it.. even if at the very least to try it out and let me know what they think...

Welp thats it for now, I'm at a loss in terms of a name always been that way. Thanks for any suggestions, and insight into this new CMS that will be fun to make....
elpmis
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why you want to reinvent the wheel - there are some good CMS they are using Smarty Confused

http://www.impresscms.org/
http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/

and some other they have the possibilities you want to code ...
ucntkilme
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am sure the 2 you listed are good. I've wanted to build my own CMS for a while so that is what I am doing.

I've come up with one name so far, but the domain is taken so I cant use it.

As for reinventing the wheel, why did anyone reinvent the wheel after the first CMS came out? To make a better one. Thats what I want to do, make a better one that we can use to design and develop full websites in half the time as currently we custom program everything from the ground up including an administration console.

So while I could use another CMS, that would mean I am forced to deal with the programming styles of the programmers involved instead of using our own unique programming style. It also means that if we need something the CMS doesn't have, I either have to custom program it for it or add it in.

So really, I'm just looking at making a CMS that far exceeds everyones expectations in terms of ease of navigation, page creation, template changes, and code changes if any need be done.

One feature that I've thought of, that I haven't seen in any other CMS to date is an auto-theme changer. This, would give the administration the abilty to select a theme for each holiday if they have one installed. They can select the dates (month and day) for it to start on and stop on..

then if $today >= $start_date display holiday theme. No more changing manually, let it run on auto pilot!
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why build a "better" one if you don't even know what the other ones do? Maybe take a look at them and possibly save yourself a lot of work. It sounds like you just want to build one Smile
ucntkilme
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see ya again mohrt havent been around these forums much as of late.

I actually did download both of those, and while there are things about them i like, there are a lot of things about them i don't like..

but i'm guessing that asking for name help, feature information from a general public that may or may not use a CMS maybe isnt the way to go in obtaining information as all i'm getting so far is 'dont build one' in essence.

You're right I do want to build one, one that suits the needs of many users but is still easy to use, easy to expand upon and easy to customize.. one that isn't as bloated as many of them out there but that can still be utilized for any website imaginable...

one that you don't need to know MySQL to create a list of items from a database, as you will be able to use drag-and-drop technology to create your add-forms, listing-views, etc...

will also be utilizing drag and drop technology for the navigation ordering and sub-navigation ordering and even sub-sub navigation ordering and so on infinately.

Allowing a person to not only not need to understand smarty syntax, but only to visualize their design through the administrative back-end and have the script do the rest.. this would mean no need for someone to learn the differences between a foreach or a section.. no need for them to learn about the modifiers, etc.. that is, unless they want to 'cause you can still put smarty syntax into the code and it'll work just as well.

The ulimate goal here, is to drop my personal production time of a website down by half. which with the custom programming of administration panels is 20-30 days for a website depending on the website itself.

With this new CMS, i can drop that down to 2-3 days granted we have all the content information, and a design aproved. This will both allow us to do more work, but also charge less for it.

Standard with the CMS will be a dynamic form generator.. again using drag and drop technology to create a form that can submit by email, or insert into database or even both.
DiscoInferno
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ucntkilme,
Don't invent a wheel! Use other CMS.
You know, Google don't like a websites, that are using 'handmade' CMS systems.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Frameworks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: