Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

BBEDIT and .tpl file auto syntax colouring

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggedcom
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: BBEDIT and .tpl file auto syntax colouring Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anybody know how to setup auto syntax colouring with bbedit 6.5 so that the tpl files are automatically coloured as html files?
Xool
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use BBEdit's HTML coloring mode. I've looked in to writing a smarty plugin for BBEdit, but I was hoping someone else would get there first. Smile
buggedcom
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that's what i do, but is there any way of settings bbedit so it recognises *.tpl files as *.html files instead of having to manually select the mode?
mitchenall
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: BBEDIT and .tpl file auto syntax colouring Reply with quote

buggedcom wrote:
Does anybody know how to setup auto syntax colouring with bbedit 6.5 so that the tpl files are automatically coloured as html files?

You don't have to have .tpl extensions for Smarty templates. In the last couple of years, every site I've created has been completely dynamically generated, so it made sense to just start naming the files with a .html extension. That way, none of the designers I've worked with in the last few years have a problem opening the files in their chosen editor.

As everything which has a .html extension is a template in one of our sites, there's no reason to make them out in any other way. And it definitely helps designers who are new to working on smarty based sites.

This is not to everyone's tastes, but at the end of the day, I've had plenty of calls from designers complain that the templates tried to get opened with stickies on the Mac, or photoshop, or something else, but when they've got .html extensions, that's one issue out of the way and they can get on with doing the job at hand.

I think the only thing which is important is that you're consistent with your naming convention.

As far as syntax highlighting specific smarty tags in BBEdit goes, I've never seen something for this.
buggedcom
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very good idea. i didn't know it was possible to do that. Anyway i upgraded bbedit to version 8 and it auto colours .tpl files anyway.
vcrfix
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Smarty tpl extension Reply with quote

A suggestion is to rename your tpl files to include tpl.html extension that you can work with the file on any html editor and get the color syntaxing and you know that the file is a template and not just a plain html.
cl
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest to use Codelobster with Smarty plug-in
http://www.codelobster.com
flijten
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone know about the same functionality for other IDE's like netbeans for instance?
flijten
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Smarty tpl extension Reply with quote

vcrfix wrote:
A suggestion is to rename your tpl files to include tpl.html extension that you can work with the file on any html editor and get the color syntaxing and you know that the file is a template and not just a plain html.

Sorry for posting twice in a row, but will Smarty itself understand the files still?
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use any extension for the template files.
flijten
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then naming them *.tpl.html is probably by far the easiest method indeed. Thanks a lot to the both of you.
tpneumat
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump on this for bbedit 9.5. Would love to just have 1 simple feature of being able to have {* comment blocks *} work in bbedit. Anybody got time to work on that one?
pnoeric
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpneumat wrote:
Bump on this for bbedit 9.5. Would love to just have 1 simple feature of being able to have {* comment blocks *} work in bbedit. Anybody got time to work on that one?

I found this-- it's a little out of date (and isn't working great for me) but it's a start: http://www.janpieterkunst.nl/plist/
tpneumat
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.. might be a starting point at least. BBEDIT 10 is nice BTW.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: