Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

If you’re smart, don’t use Smarty - Wrong!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Testimonials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: If you’re smart, don’t use Smarty - Wrong! Reply with quote

First please look at the post:
http://codesanity.net/2010/06/dont-use-smarty/

The author seems to be a codeigniter expert.

Wrongly coded applications will be always slower in whatever faster application you will use. Overloading smarty object with a lot of assigns, template based programming, etc. will case a system slow.

While developing a large scale application, thinking about the server resources, execution times, etc. are not the primary duties of a programmer or a designer. Further, low scale private networked applications will never raise performance issues again.

I personally feel that it is not a good idea to hang around the PHP templates again; while debugging the design issues. Nor to copy/paste the PHP codes block in each new template to create.

They always talk about working with designers; while complaining Smarty.
But forget the idea of separating the business logic from the designs.

Problems of speed and performance arise only after a small team of developers taking care of big responsibilities in a small time frame; and messing things up. The faster you tend to complete a project, more the problems residue.

Is it still good to design a system where the template holds a part of application's business logic?
uffeUtvecklare
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: If you’re smart, don’t use Smarty - Wrong! Reply with quote

bimal wrote:

Is it still good to design a system where the template holds a part of application's business logic?

I have recently been hired as a developer at a company using smarty for their template engine for the main company product. The PHP code and even some of the smarty-templates are coded in a halfassed-fashion, wich results in alot of fiddling and weird solutions everytime the system is being deployed to a new customer.

As I'm new to coding for food(see: working as a developer) I haven't had too much experience with larger systems and 3 months ago I didn't know a thing about smarty. So when deadlines are closing in and you HAVE to solve problems now, I accept alot more businesslogic in smarty-templates. As long as you don't over do it I personally thinks this works fine for smaller projects.

I don't think this is the way to go when you plan your code however, everything works better if most of the processing is made behind curtains.

My final answer will be: Yes, it is fine to have a little business-logic in your template.
pitbull82
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the biggest problems is Smarty performance. When you look at http://www.phpcomparison.net/ or http://www.raintpl.com/PHP-Template-Engines-Speed-Test/ you'll see that smarty in that comparision is the slowest and the most memory consuming template engine. I hope that in nearest future it will change.

Most basic smarty usage:

Code:
      $x = new Smarty();
      $x->template_dir = 'application/View';
      $x->compile_dir  = 'application/View-Compiled';
      $x->compile_check = false;
      $x->assign('content','Komponent content');
      $site = $x->fetch('index.tpl');

and index.tpl

Code:

<html>
<head>
<title>Info</title>
</head>
<body>

{$content}

</body>
</html>

uses 701.578 kB whereas core of my aaplication (including router/dispatcher/front controller/config class/benchmark) consumes less then 300 kB
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Testimonials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: