Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Plugin parameter without value?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaitlyn2004
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Plugin parameter without value? Reply with quote

Getting a smarty error when I want to add a function parameter without a value. Smarty core has this with the "nocache" option...

why can't I have {my_custom_function my_param}

Not every param needs a value... it's a flag of sorts...

would expect $params['my_param'] = NULL;
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smarty3 does have some fix option flags like "nocache" which need no value.

Also it does implement shorthand syntax for build in tags where you don't need the attribute names if you use the standard parameter ordering.

For example instead of
{assign var='foo' value='bar'}
you could use
{assign 'foo' 'bar'}

This works because Smarty does know for the build in tags which parameter are required and which are optional.

However at plugins the compiler has no knowledge about the number and kind of parameter. So shorthands or custom option flags like in your request could and up in an ambiguos syntax.
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: do you want to omit the parameter in the function body? Reply with quote

I too thought of the same, initially.
Code:
$params['my_param'] = NULL;

If you want that ALWAYS inside your template, then there is no worth of passing it in your function. Templates are not dynamic. But you can check the parameters inside the function body.

Code:
$params['my_param'] = isset($params['my_param'])?$params['my_param']:null;

If you add this line in the top of your function body, you are free to omit my_param in the template function.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Plugins All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: