Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Upgrade 2.x -> 3.x helper

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmerlone
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Upgrade 2.x -> 3.x helper Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am evaluating the upgrade from 2.x to 3.x. I read http://smarty-php.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/distribution/SMARTY2_BC_NOTES and was wondering if someone has made or is planning to make or know of any tool to help me find incompatibilities and code I should change to make it compatible with 3.x.

Looking for advices, thanks in advance.

Best regards.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.1 has a better upgrade path, I'd hold out for that (coming in the following weeks) It has a separate class specifically for 2.0 BC.

Otherwise the README and BC_NOTES have the pertinent info for upgrading. Most certainly try this in a test area first.
Mimidog
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: smarty2 to 3 Reply with quote

I too am looking for some help with this subject please! I know parts of the code need to be changed but how much? and on what pages? All of the display pages or just some of the areas on each page what are we looking for? Please any suggestions would be great!
olivierpons
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the problems I've encountered so far:
-----------------------------
- the template dir is not allowed to begin with "." or "../" anymore.
So you need to add this line:

Code:
$this->template = realpath($this->template);

- we have a full multilanguage included closely with smarty, and a template function that calls the "traductor object". template functions were declared like this:
Code:
$this->smarty->register->templateFunction('trad', array($this,'smarty_trad'))

now the v3 version looks like (I've not tested it 100%):
Code:
$this->smarty->registerPlugin('function','trad', array($this,'smarty_trad'));

- in all your templates, if your variables are not set, you'll get a warning:
Code:
Notice: Undefined index: code_postal in /xxx/smarty/compile/7f51dda2964466d9ce44bb3865674110e66ee097.file.index.htm.php on line 391

so you'll have to change all your template code from:
Code:
{if $tab_err.code_postal}

to
Code:
{if isset($tab_err.code_postal)}

Last edited by olivierpons on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
rodneyrehm
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I welcome the help offered, I do think you should check your statements before publishing them, olivierpons.

Registering plugins (functions, modifiers, …) is done (as the doc states):
Code:
$smarty->registerPlugin("function", "my_cool_function", "the_actual_php_function");

You should never access any internal attributes directly. $smarty->template_functions may work for you now - but what about tomorrow? internal functions are not part of the publicly documented API. Internal functions may be modified as needed. As they are internal, we don't really communicate those changes. Read: use the public API, everything else is prone-to-break-haxxory.

Regarding the note on undefined variables, yes it's true. Smarty3 does not automatically ignore any unset variable notices. But you can enable that behaviour quite easily:
Code:
$smarty->error_reporting = error_reporting() & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_WARNING;
The previous line sets the level of error reporting to simply ignore all notices and warnings (thus ignoring unset variable hints). Use at your own discretion. We'd urge you to clean your templates rather than throw a blanket of "please don't show me what I did wrong" over them.
olivierpons
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, I've modified my help according to what you said. Thank you.
dleffler
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Some additional considerations Reply with quote

(I'm using 3.0.9 & 3.1)
- $smarty->_tpl_vars is deprecated (without notice), but can be replaced by $smarty->getTemplatevars('name_of_var').
- v3 doesn't seem to like back-ticks and tends to throw exceptions when they are encountered. Since it's better at parsing, you can simply remove them in many cases
- v3.1 requires using the 'setter' (setPluginsDir) for changing the plugins_dir variable, but you MUST either include the system plugins folder in addition to a custom plugin folder path, or use the addPluginsDir() method
- moving from v2 to v3 to v3.1 (compatibility) can be as simple as adding the "BC" suffix such as changing the 'include" to reference SmartyBC.class.php and new SmartyBC();
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: