Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Constructor defaults: function Smarty ( $base_dir = '.' )

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smathy
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Constructor defaults: function Smarty ( $base_dir = '.' ) Reply with quote

I've only just started using Smarty, and I've taken a good look around and can't believe that there isn't a simple way of avoiding the four assignments after every Smarty object instantiation.

The docs point out that the default behaviour of having 'templates', 'templates_c', 'cache' and 'config' in the web root is a bad idea, and yet the only way to set all four is four separate assignments after every single Smarty instantiation.

My feature proposal is to provide a default argument to the Smarty construction which would then become this:

Code:
function Smarty( $base_dir = '.')
{
  $this->template_dir    = $base_dir.'/'.$this->template_dir;
  $this->compile_dir     = $base_dir.'/'.$this->compile_dir;
  $this->config_dir      = $base_dir.'/'.$this->config_dir;
  $this->cache_dir       = $base_dir.'/'.$this->cache_dir;

$this->assign('SCRIPT_NAME', isset($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']) ? $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']
                : @$GLOBALS['HTTP_SERVER_VARS']['SCRIPT_NAME']);
}

Then from the caller, the ugly four assignment statements disappear and the code becomes:

Code:
$smarty = new Smarty('/directory/for/this/app');

Alternatively, you could extend the concept to include other defaults, such as delimiters:

Code:
function Smarty( $base_dir = '.', $delim = array('left' => '{', 'right' => '}'))
{
  $this->template_dir    = $base_dir.'/'.$this->template_dir;
  $this->compile_dir     = $base_dir.'/'.$this->compile_dir;
  $this->config_dir      = $base_dir.'/'.$this->config_dir;
  $this->cache_dir       = $base_dir.'/'.$this->cache_dir;

$this->left_delimiter = $delim['left'];
  $this->right_delimiter = $delim['right'];

$this->assign('SCRIPT_NAME', isset($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']) ? $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']
                : @$GLOBALS['HTTP_SERVER_VARS']['SCRIPT_NAME']);
}

Sure would make the code in the caller a lot cleaner.

Has this been discussed before? Aren't there others sick of the four assignments after every single instantiation?

--
Jason King
andre
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally you should create your own template class which handles setting the parameters for you Smile

Code:

class mySmarty extends Smarty {
    function mySmarty() {
      $this->Smarty();
      $this->template_dir = " ... ";
      $this->compile_dir = " ... ";
      $this->config_dir = " ... ";
      $this->plugin_dir = " ... ";
      $this->left_delimiter = "{";
      $this->right_delimiter = "}";
       // ...
    }
  }

Now just use your custom class instead of the original one.
Code:
$Smarty = new mySmarty();
$Smarty->assign(...);
$Smarty->display(...);
smathy
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply, I didn't know whether what I had written was going to be received or ignored.

Certainly you've provided an excellent and very workable solution, and one that hadn't occurred to me.

I'd be interested on further comments because at first glance it doesn't appease my OO methodology appetite quite as well as the solution I proposed because I see the location of the templates (etc.) directory more as an attribute of a given instance of a Smarty rather than being a property of a new subclass.

Although I can certainly see the scope for having a custom class for each application, so you might have MessageBoardSmarty which would then define - as you wrote - the attributes for its templates (etc.) location.

A new subclass for every application on your system simply to set that attribute seems like overkill to me, or perhaps that's too strong - let's say that it seems less elegant when compared with such a simple solution (and such a backwardly compatible one) as I proposed.

--
Jason King
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: