Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

popup

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atu
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: popup Reply with quote

Hi,
There are some problems with the popup plugin. If sticky=true the close text is only displayed if caption text contains a value. And we can not set the path to overlib in popup_init to some thing else then "overlib.js" or "javascript/overlib.js"

In general this overlib plugin is a good tool if it works. But I have some doubts to include this in my projects because there is no guarantee that it will work in future navigator releases. We know how sloppy navigators devs implements css compatibility. For web page designers this can be a really nightmare. Futhermore I'm not shure if the development of overlib will continue. May, this plugin shouldn't be included in an official smarty release.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi atu,

Agreed, the homepage makes me think that the library is growing out of date. Still, it is licenced in a way that allows interested parties in keeping it up-to-date Wink Besides, aren't the issues you raise problems with any 3rd party tool, particularly those developed and maintained by volounteers? In the absence of "something else" I wouldn't drop overlib. On the other hand, I've suggested in the past that it would be interesting to envision a distribution that included only a minimal of plugins and then have semi-official "plugin packs" which are purposed for specific tasks, etc.

In any event, I think it is nice to have an alternative before considering dumping overlib.
atu
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Still, it is licenced in a way that allows interested parties in keeping it up-to-date

Yes, but there is nobody else than Erik who work on this library. Last update 2002-11-01. The same problem with htmlarea as far as I know.

Quote:
Besides, aren't the issues you raise problems with any 3rd party tool, particularly those developed and maintained by volounteers?

Yes.

Quote:
In the absence of "something else" I wouldn't drop overlib.

Since overlib was droped from the smarty release why keeping the popup plugins?

Quote:
On the other hand, I've suggested in the past that it would be interesting to envision a distribution that included only a minimal of plugins and then have semi-official "plugin packs" which are purposed for specific tasks, etc.

I think it could be a good idea to outsource all plugins which has no core value. For the other plugins a webpage with thematic categories and search facilities would be great.
andre
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys Smile

Regarding OverLIB:
To access the up-to-date cvs follow this link: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/overlib/overlib/#dirlist
(last updated seven weeks ago, so it's still maintained)
An alternative to overlib is overlibMWS which is basically the same (also very compatible) but with some enhancements. You can find it here: http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/ (Last updated two days ago)

HTMLArea:
The CVS version is still maintained and can be found here: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/itools-htmlarea

So you should consider using a CVS tool (WinCVS for example) to stay up-to-date with your tools. For both overlib(MWS) and htmlarea (and sometimes even Smarty Wink ) the CVS versions are more stable than the "stable" ones Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Plugins All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: