Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

disable Exception escapement introduced in 3.1.13

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aristophan
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: disable Exception escapement introduced in 3.1.13 Reply with quote

First I couldn't find out why my fatal testing errors (testing an unknown modifier) could not be unescaped with the new
Code:
SmartyException::$escape = false;
introduced in 3.1.13 by issue #130.

Now I found, the error $message var already be escaped by htmlentities() (at least for SmartyCompilerException errors) when passed to the SmartyException class, this will not work:
Code:
$this->message = self::$escape ? htmlentities($message) : $message;

Leaving the default message escape (for security or unescaped error messages???) it has to be
Code:
$this->message = self::$escape ? htmlentities($message) : html_entity_decode($message);
to work properly.

Could you explain where exactly the security risk was before, so it was needed to escape these fatal error already stringified messages?
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it's a bug that Compiler Exceptions get double escaped.

The security risk was that there was a chance that in certain configuration users could force fatal error messages with inject Java scipt code which got executed.

I will fix the bug of double escaping ASAP
Aristophan
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Uwe

Yes, I have read about these obscure "certain configurations"... but I can't imagine where and how this could happen, while Exception Errors are halted errors, which are source code stringified already (eg. <tag>), and which does not need to be escaped again to avoid parsing or code execution.
If there really was a risc, why do you allow $escape false then?
Could it be described somewhere how to avoid situations where forced code would get executed?
I think having the exception messages unescaped would be much better for the (John Doe) users which get in touch with them.

Regards
Ian
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bug is fixed now in the SVN trunk.

SmartyCompilerException's don't get double escaped any longer.

SmartyException::$escape = false; does now also turn off escaping of SmartyCompilerException's.

This fix will later be included in version 3.1.14
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: