Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

accessing associative arrays

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtaranu
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: accessing associative arrays Reply with quote

It is very cumbersome to access values for array keys that do not follow php variable naming conventions.

Example

in php:
$array = array('foo-bar' => 'hello, world');
$smarty->assign('array', $array);

in template:
{$array.foo-bar} will not work

workaround:
{assign var='foo_bar' value='foo-bar'}
{$vars.$foo_bar}

This workaround is very cumbersome. It would be nice to have a natural way to access values with non php-named keys.

I would like this feature because sometimes the array keys are not chosen by me, they are populated with xml files, or any other number of sources that have other naming conventions than php.
Hielke Hoeve
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: accessing associative arrays Reply with quote

rtaranu wrote:
in template:
{$array.foo-bar} will not work

how about {$array.`foo-bar`} ? i never use special chars in a var name, then u get these probs. an _ should work better.
---
(About Unix) The learning curve is full of aha! moments, such as that glorious day that the full beauty of grep and, later, find is revealed in all its majesty. --- Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>
rtaranu
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: accessing associative arrays Reply with quote

Hielke Hoeve wrote:

how about {$array.`foo-bar`} ? i never use special chars in a var name, then u get these probs. an _ should work better.

{$array.`foo-bar`} does not work
{$array.'foo-bar'} does not work

The only workaround I've found is the posted above.

I never use special chars in variable names either. I populate an array with the values found in an xml file, the user is supposed to use a web page to modify the values in the xml-file.

These names come from the xml file, where the author decided to use a bastard version of underscore notation.
Hielke Hoeve
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regex the - to a _, this can be done in the xml parsing or afterwards.
---
(About Unix) The learning curve is full of aha! moments, such as that glorious day that the full beauty of grep and, later, find is revealed in all its majesty. --- Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>
shoulders
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: might be of use Reply with quote

i dont know if this is the same thing but the following worked for me.

http://www.phpeveryday.com/articles/Smarty-Variable-Object-P613.html

Code:
{$foo->id}

This returns the value that is stored for 'id'

This works when the $foo variable is a 'Smarty_Variable Object', inside it is a sinlge level array.

I also found the follwing link useful.

http://www.smarty.net/docs/en/language.syntax.variables.tpl[/url][/code]
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: