Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

suspicious file warning on smarty tpl compile files

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
durangod
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: suspicious file warning on smarty tpl compile files Reply with quote

hi,

recently i began receiving a server warning email regarding the cache complied smarty files. To help resolve this i changed my tmp dir name in my script smarty config file and no change it still sends the warning emails. So then i did a agent ransack search for anything /tmp/ or tmp/ for the script and it came back nothing other than one called xxxtmp that i use for to store the cache files above the public_html for extra security.

here is the email that i am getting, the xxxx is my username which i have changed for privacy here.

the title of the email is : lfd on vulcan.xxxxxxhosting.com: Suspicious File Alert

I get one of these for every file that is stored.

Quote:

Time: Wed Jan 14 23:28:55 2015 -0700
File: /tmp/%%F7^F7F^F7F34188%%header.tpl.php
Reason: Script, file extension
Owner: xxxx:xxxx (512:524)
Action: No action taken

i dont know where /tmp/ is comming from as there is nothing /tmp/ in the script now. This seems to be comming from the public_html storage of these files, when i change to storage to above the public_html i dont get the emails.

Anyone else ever have such an issue?

thanks
durangod
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it... my fault

this post explains what i did wrong and how i fixed it.

Basically be very very careful when you assign a name for your cache files for smarty, i used tmp and it stored the files in the root server tmp folder which has a noexec block. once i deleted the files from that folder it was ok. I have since changed my stored folder to a very unique name to keep this from happening with any users once released to the public.

http://forums.cpanel.net/f185/suspicious-file-warning-smarty-compile-files-448251.html
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiled templates directory should be unique per site. Normally located inside the site's temp folder, not in system temp folder. Unless, however, the whole system is dedicated to one site (LXC, embedded appliances etc.)
udirect61
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the ,stored folder must have very unique name to keep this from happening with any users once released to the public. Razz Razz
thanks for sharing your experience Laughing Laughing
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much "unique", rather: never use relative paths in your configuration.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: