Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Smarty Template 3.1 ERROR: variable template file names not

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
intuz
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Smarty Template 3.1 ERROR: variable template file names not Reply with quote

these days I am trying to improve my templates by using the Smarty template engine and its OOP template tag {block}

Its working pretty good, but I also noticed when I use {block} - tags the {include file="[...]" variableX="[..]"} breaks when I use nested variables.

PHP Fatal error: [...] variable template file names not allow within {block} tags

Some examples:

WORKING (without nested variable inside "param")

{block name=CONTENT}
{assign "extra" value="test"}
DropDown: {include "dropdown.html" param="product_name" items=DS::PRODUCTS()}
{/block}
NOT WORKING #1 (with nested variable using `` )

{block name=CONTENT}
DropDown: {include "dropdown.html" param="product_name_`$extra`" items=DS::PRODUCTS()}
{/block}
NOT WORKING #2 (with nested variable using {} )

{block name=CONTENT}
DropDown: {include "dropdown.html" param="product_name_{$extra}" items=DS::PRODUCTS()}
{/block}
When I am using {include} without {block} all examples are ok

Question: is there any other method to allow nested variables or is it a known issue?

Thank you in advance

PingBack: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30346782/smarty-template-3-1-error-variable-template-file-names-not-allow-within-block
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Smarty Template 3.1 ERROR: variable template file names Reply with quote

intuz wrote:
OOP template tag {block}

What OOP has to do with it?

Quote:
Its working pretty good, but I also noticed when I use {block} - tags the {include file="[...]" variableX="[..]"} breaks when I use nested variables.

You MUST NOT use it that way. Assembling inherited templates is a compile-time process. You are likely to run into a nasty case of information leak with such techniques.
If you feel the need for such techniques, this means that your design is flawed and needs to be redone from scratch.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look like that "dropdown.html" does include another subtemplate which has its name assembled by the param parameter, right?

Currently template inheritance is a compile time process. This does not work when you use variable subtemplates which could contain {block} tags.For this reason variable subtemplates are not allowed as default.

You can set $smarty->inheritance_merge_compiled_includes = false;
But you must carefully read the INHERITANCE_RELEASE_NOTES how to handle
subtemplates with {block} tags in this case.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: