Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

mailto encode and Netscape (4.x)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: mailto encode and Netscape (4.x) Reply with quote

I have a problem with mailto plugin.
Although it works fine with most of the browsers, I found that Netscape - 4.7 does not decode the mailto address, though it does decode the text_address
Is it some known bug? I really wanted my site cross-platform and this little bug destroys the whole idea

I used both, javascript and hex encoding.
Using javascript encoding breaks the site, because its not well outputted,
hex is just not working and not destroying anything

Thanks for help!
AZTEK
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off Netscape 4.7 is so old it probably was released before the idea of encoding email addresses came about so there is probably no way it will work. Second anyone who still uses Netscape 4.7 or Netscape at all IMHO shouldn't be allowed to surf the web use Mozilla.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aztek, you're probably right, but then again, people DO surf the web using 4.7. Many LARGE corporations I've consulted at still have entire sections of their staff using 4.7--you know, the controlled upgrade issues at huge corps. Now lets say you are designing an intranet for them....
AZTEK
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had that problem as well then I set aside a weekend to upgrade them all and mozilla is almost exactly like Netscape so little retraining is needed.
Dan
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine, that one of the corp. I was making a website for, forced me to test it with Netscape 4.5, because they were using it.
It was like few months ago and it was pretty big company. People do use Netscape 4.x. In most of the cases I would ignore it, but I can't force the client to switch to other browser, it's not that simple as you know.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aztek! You know full well that that is no answer!! The client is always right--even when they are wrong, wrong, wrong.

Seriously, we lowly consultants can not dictate the tools of companies with 20,000+ seats (nor when there are many less seats) nor can we go in to their place of business on our "spare" time and change the environment of their users. Well, I can't anyways Smile -- and I've run skunk-works projects at some of these places (like setting up LAMPs in otherwise all Microsoft environments--tee hee).
AZTEK
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have just had it good never working with a company with more then 500 workstations. Hire a few hands and get to working on a weekend. Be surprised with what you can do. Upgraded an entire company of 400 to Win2k and Office XP over 1 weekend.
AZTEK
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Imagine, that one of the corp. I was making a website for, forced me to test it with Netscape 4.5, because they were using it.
It was like few months ago and it was pretty big company. People do use Netscape 4.x. In most of the cases I would ignore it, but I can't force the client to switch to other browser, it's not that simple as you know.

Well then I guess your probably stuck using text email addresses. Besides most spam bots have picked up on the encoding already. Its still best to use a made up addin like aztekREMOVETHIS@TOEMAILMEbox.sk
sweatje
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is an intranet app (as discussed earlier in the thread regarding why they are using antiquated browsers), you should not have to worry about spambots searching it, you should just be able to output a valid email address in text without encoding.
Dan
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just gave you an example, that big companies still might be using pretty old browsers like Netscape 4.5 even.
Sure thing, that I would not worry If the project would have been an intranet one....
Seems, that no encoding must be used in case of the service being cross-platform, pity..
sweatje
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a host of other problems coding pages for browsers that old. You might try directing them to The Web Standards Project for an independant option.

HTH
AZTEK
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that page tells them what I would say personally your browser is to old to view new pages on the internet and is falling behind in features. Then I would offer Mozilla as the cheapest (because its free unlike how netscape used to be) and easiest to switch to alternative. After that they can get all the second opinions they want, but I know no sensible web developer out there who wil tell you to take Netscape 4.7 over Mozilla.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After that they can get all the second opinions they want, but I know no sensible web developer out there who wil tell you to take Netscape 4.7 over Mozilla.

Of course, if you don't want to (or can't) support older browsers, that's one thing. They don't make up a large % of browsers. But don't think people are going to switch because of your website. Chances are, if they are still using something like 4.7, you WILL have to go to their business/house on the weekend and upgrade them yourself!
Galois
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: but what about the answer Reply with quote

All preaching and browser snobbery aside, Is there an actual answer to this problem?
AZTEK
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only answer is to use another encoding since netscape just wont work for it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: