Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Where To Query A Web Service?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question:

Legal issues aside, if you do use a web-service in your app (for any purpose) what is the best/most thoughtful way to incorporate it? Should you have the client issue the web-query (originates from their IP) or should you originate the query from your server? In both cases, should you actively cache query results? Where is the caching more effective?

I think there are reasonable answers to these questions that mitigate a lot of concerns. I assume that there is a legal difference between redistributing data which you acquired via a query from your server vs having the same query run from a client machine.

Technology blurs some issues: When I buy a translation dictionary and do manual lookups, this looks the same as the technique above that does it automatically. The difference is that the technique above essentially permits me to "share" my "copy" of the dictionary removing the normal assumption that all users will have their own copy. I don't think information is the type of thing that should (in my mind, COULD) be owned but I fear I am in the minority on that position. People want to be paid endlessly, often for things they didn't even themselves accomplish.
toma
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boots wrote:
Technology blurs some issues: When I buy a translation dictionary and do manual lookups, this looks the same as the technique above that does it automatically. The difference is that the technique above essentially permits me to "share" my "copy" of the dictionary removing the normal assumption that all users will have their own copy. I don't think information is the type of thing that should (in my mind, COULD) be owned but I fear I am in the minority on that position. People want to be paid endlessly, often for things they didn't even themselves accomplish.

You're wrong on this point. If you create a .po file using a paper dictionary, I can think of NO legal reason why you can't sell that, either by itself or as part of a product. Can you? To sell a translation file do you have to be bilingual, speaking each language natively? The answer is, of course, no.

As for your first question, please post that in a new thread. I'd love to discuss it, but not here.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Toma, if I try to sell a translation dictionary that turns out to be derived from another commercial translation dictionary--that's illegal.

You're right: I only posted this in the translation thread because it seemed that service issues is where that topic was going anyhow Wink Anyhow, here it is in a new topic!
toma
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, but it could be argued that a translation file is part of a dictionary, which is just silly.

As for web services:

I have many people that query my site. I have provided external web services for years. I also use web services other sites have setup just for my use.

Where to cache data depends entirely on what data the service provides.

First example: I provide a service which returns a wddx packet containing concert information from my database. If the site querying this data wants their own copy of the data for long-term use, they should cache it locally (on their end). If the person using the service will only occationally look at the data, they should requery my service each time they wish to see the data. This allows regular updates or fixes to be made on my side and, because they only query it occationally, it's not a burdon on my site. Example: http://db.etree.org/wddx/show.php?artist=gratefu&date=2/9/73

Second example: A service which provides a list of all records in a table on my site. This should always be cached by the requesting client and, perhaps, refreshed once a day or less.
http://db.etree.org/wddx/artistlist.php

Third example: dynamic data one one site to be mirrored on another. I use a service on another web site. The data from that site changes daily but the service puts a high load on the server. Therefore, I only query the other site once daily at 4:20 AM (a very non-busy time).

I've found web services to be a fantastic way to share data between sites and, in my case, I don't concider the data 'mine' (although it could (poorly) be argued it is), therefore, I love sharing my data as much as possible.

My normal web services implementation: client provides parameters in get request and I return a wddx packet with their results.
andreas
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toma wrote:
You're wrong on this point. If you create a .po file using a paper dictionary, I can think of NO legal reason why you can't sell that, either by itself or as part of a product. Can you? To sell a translation file do you have to be bilingual, speaking each language natively? The answer is, of course, no.

I spend money for my webservice, and if someone uses a script to get my data (which perhaps cost a lot of money to build the application and get the translations) I do not want that someone uses the traffic I pay for, the server-performance(by using my service) I pay for, too, and gets the same data which - as I said - have been expensive, too, for nothing, just my money. Altavista provides this translation as a special service for private purpose, for comercial purpose they have also special services:

Quote:
If you want to make commercial use of the AltaVista search service, please click [url=http://www.altavista.com/services/iss-overview]here for more information.

Internet is not all for free because it's there, the same laws as in RL apply to web-services. The problem is not how you request the data (used client...), the purpose is the important thing. If I provide a service _I_ determine what you may do with this and what you may not.

Do you think you can do with a newspaper whatever you want? Copy some articles and sell them as your own newspaper? In most cases that's not allowed because of the authors copyright. The free services are a kind of advertising to get the biggest market share as possible, to earn money later on.

It is a bit difficult for me because english is not my native language, and I don't realy know in details where the US law differs from german law, but from german law I'm sure you could get problems. Here we have lawyers who earn a lot of money with admonishing (?) people for things like that.[/url]
________
Jaguar R2 history

Last edited by andreas on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:01 am; edited 3 times in total
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already offtopic here--

You do a haul at 4:20 ? !! That's rich Wink Anyhow, its cool to know that you are the one running etree -- that's a good thing, even though I haven't traded in years (and was never exceptionally active) many of my friends still do. Does that mean you are a canuck, too?

I'll post something ontopic a bit later...I'm going to a show tonight Wink
toma
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas: altavista doesn't provide commercial translations. Read the page linked to in your copied text. Also, my plugin doesn't provide translations for commercial purposes. HOWEVER, if you were to implement a page (probably easily done by using some of my code) which allows users to type an arbitrary string and it used babelfish to translate that string and return it to the user, that would be disallowed.

boots: Yup. backups have been running at 4:20 since etree and, later, db.etree's inception. The server team is commited to following the rules we laid out long ago.

The only canuck that was ever on the server team was Scott aka ghost, but he's been off the server team for a very long time.
andreas
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know how good/bad the different translation-engines work, so here 2 results:

Quote:
Through integration of a procurement portal and presentation of the procurement program into the existing Internet appearance, you develop an additional benefit potential of your available Internet presence

Quote:
by integration of a procurement portal and presentation of the procurement program into the existing InterNet appearance you are opened an additional use potential of your existing InterNet operational readiness level

first is from
http://www.heisoft.de/, second from babelfish. Which one is better, how would you change this sentence?
________
BMW Nazca C2

Last edited by andreas on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:01 am; edited 2 times in total
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now wait a minute--I started this topic because it was off-topic (more general) than the ongoing translation topic.... now we have the reverse problem...

@andreas: Can you please repost your translation related item in the translation topic? Thanks.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: