Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Subdirectories and directory structure

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Installation and Setup
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orest
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Subdirectories and directory structure Reply with quote

I am having trouble getting Smarty to work with files in subdirectories under the document root.

The online documentation provides an example similar to what I am trying to achieve: http://smarty.php.net/manual/en/installing.smarty.extended.php. However, after modifying the example for my environment, it failed with errors "problem writing temporary file" and "unable to read template resource".

I have set up the following directories and files:

/home/smarty/libs/ -- Smarty libraries directory
/home/htdocs/ -- web document root directory ($DOCUMENT_ROOT)
/home/htdocs/index.php -- home page (works with Smarty as expected)
/home/htdocs/config.php -- script to initialize environment
/home/htdocs/test/index.php -- page to test Smarty directory traversal

The page at test/index.php (last item above) is where I am encountering the errors.

The config.php file is analogous to the setup.php file in the Smarty online documentation noted above. The home page (which works as expected) does not call the config.php file but uses the Smarty libs directly.

The following is the contents of my config.php file (directories shortened for clarity):

// -------------
require ("/home/smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php"); // this works

class Smarty_smartytest extends Smarty
{
function Smarty_smartytest()
{
$this->Smarty();

$this->template_dir = 'templates';
$this->compile_dir = 'templates_c';
$this->config_dir = 'configs';
$this->cache_dir = 'cache';

$this->caching = true;
$this->assign('app_name','smartytest');
}
}
// -------------

And the following is the contents of my test/index.php file:

// -------------
require ($DOCUMENT_ROOT."/config.php"); // this works

$smarty = new Smarty_smartytest;

$smarty->assign('name','Ned');

$smarty->display('test.tpl');
// -------------

I've tried indicating different directory paths for the various file/directory references, to no avail. My guess is that the config.php doesn't have the correct paths to the template_dir, compile_dir, config_dir, and cache_dir. I've tried several variants there but can't seem to get the correct one. (I'm not familiar with using PHP classes and objects.)

Any suggestions or solutions?

Thanks,

- Orest
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use absolute paths in your config.php .

you say that index.php works, but test/index.php doesn't. i assume you have templates_c and templates in /home/htdocs so that "templates_c" is found correctly when using "index.php", but not when using "test/index.php" the latter need "../templates_c" to find the correct templates_c. to avoid these problems, use absolute paths.
orest
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the suggestions! I gave them a try but, unfortunately, am still getting errors.

First of all (just to make sure I'm being clear), the index.php page at the web root does reference the config.php file, however, it calls the class Smarty directly, not through the class Smarty_smartytest that I had created. The require statement in config.php makes sure that the class Smarty is found.

test/index.php, on the other hand, calls class Smarty_smartytest in the config.php file.

I tried the following variations of paths in my class Smart_smartytest (some shortened here for clarity/security). Following each is the error message displayed when I tried to load test/index.php.

1. /usr/local/virt/74/htdocs/templates (anchored at server root) -- unable to read template resource: "test.tpl" (2x)

2. $DOCUMENT_ROOT.'/templates' -- problem writing temporary file; unable to read template resource: "test.tpl"

3. /htdocs/templates -- problem writing temporary file; unable to read template resource: "test.tpl"

4. /templates -- problem writing temporary file; unable to read template resource: "test.tpl"

5. ../templates -- unable to read template resource: "test.tpl" (x2)

Any other suggestions/ideas?

Thanks,

- Orest
orest
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved!

Well, thanks to your suggestions and the exercise of going through all the errors one by one, I discovered the error. And boy, do I feel like a goof.

I noticed that the errors weren't consistent when I used the various directory paths in my earlier message. That meant that *sometimes* part of the script *was* working. The error that showed up consistently was the alleged unreadable test.tpl file. In fact, there wasn't one (it wasn't just unable to be read, it was just plain missing) -- hence the error message.

What threw me was that I couldn't figure out what error message belonged to what problem. Once I narrowed down the issues, I was able to pinpoint that the template file was missing.

Thanks again for your help.

- Orest
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Installation and Setup All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: